3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2005 2:57 PM by Network_Guru

Use a Visio diagram with linked, dynamic shapes.

I would like to use Solarwinds to update a highly intricate, dynamic Visio diagram, displaying not only text outputs, but converting percentages of dropped packets and interface utilization into color/size graphs for each of the external routers we are monitoring.

Since we already own Solarwinds, I would like to see if anyone has any input into this question.

I would like users at our NOSC to be able to open this file up locally, as it auto-updates from a database, and monitor their particular portion of the country, or the entire map, as they prefer, without further intervention on their part.

Dustin Loftis
        • Re: Use a Visio diagram with linked, dynamic shapes.
          Network_Guru
          I'm not sure I understand the question, but if you using Orion, it includes a MapMaker application that does this for you.

-=Cheers=-
                    NG
            Compared to Visio, Mapmaker is maddening to use, without basic layering controls, transparency adjustments, etc...

Is there a simpler way to make Solarwinds utilize a visio-created map?
              Network_Guru
              OK, If you don't mind a bit of pain once in a while, here's a solution:

- Take your Viso diagram and save it as a JPG(remember the exact size you saved it as).
              - Save this JPG on the Orion server
              - Create a new map, with the saved JPG as the background.
              - Now drag all the Network components onto the background diagram.

When you make changes to your Viso digram, try not to move anything around.
              Then save it as a JPG with the exact same dimensions as the previous JPG.
              When you replave the JPG on the Orion server, everything should still line up.
              Just delete/drag any removed/new nodes/interface as appropriate onto the new background.

Also it is possible to copy objects from Visio into Mapmaker.
              Do a search in the Orion forum (where this post should be) for Visio & Mapmaker

-=Cheers=-
                        NG