This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Filter and restriction for users not working

Good morning to all.

We are having an issue in our organization with the user restriction and filters, let me explain the case:

We have monitoring for our clients and the services that we gave to them and when a client request to us access for monitoring with his IT Team, we provide them a user and password and a link to a web outside our LAN. We have installed an additional web server in another machine where is allocated this service for the client (example: https://network-monitoring.com) and they can go there to check his services with his IT team.

Right now, we have an issue where the clients can see all the other accounts that we have in solarwinds and not only his services.

We try to configure the restriction and we have made some tests but the problem persist.

One thing that we noticed is that when we restart the procceses in the server, the restriction and filters apply, but only to a few and not to all. Also, the changes in views, restrictions and filters, doesn`t aply inmediately until we restart the procceses mentioned before.

A couple of months back we have a DB migration and this scenario became more evident.

Have you ever seen or have this problem?, Do you know if this can be a DB problem, daemon or installation of the solarwinds software?

I`ll appreciate the information.

Regards.

• Hi,

So sadly the Orion software isn't really designed to be run in a Multi-Tenant scenario, and whilst it is possible, it comes with extra overhead.

As for what you're trying to achieve you need to make sure that the User Account you have set up has Account Limitations applied to it so that the account can only see Nodes that belong to that customer environment. The best method for this is to use a Custom Property (Maybe Called Customer?) Then you need to set up a dedicated View for that account to land on and ensure that any of the widgets on that View are adhering to the Account Limitations in place.

If you already have all of that done, but are still seeing problems, then post back with some screenshots and more specific examples and I'm sure the community can help you.emoticons_wink.png

• Out of curiosity, where are users able to see things you believe they shouldn't? Is it a particular resource? Also, how are you limitations configured? Are they based on Custom Properties, Groups, specific entities?

• Good afternoon, thanks for your comments.

Actually, the limitations are configured as you say, custom properties and others with groups, but mostly on custom properties.

When a user login into his account, he can see all the other clients that we have in monitoring when he go to home page or if we configure some dashboard where he can see the utilization of interfaces, alerts, summary view, etc.

Also, we already try doing some specific views for clients but the issue persists.

Even if the user have the limitation for his group, he saw an error of permission to.

Regards.

attachments.zip
  • Based upon the screenshot you posted it appears you are using Groups rather than Custom Properties for your limitations. Can you try using a Custom Property and seeing if that resolves your issue? Also did this work previous to some type of change? If so, what was that change?

• Thanks, I’ll try it and let you know the results.

Actually, the groups limitation is one of our custom properties, that’s why we use that and also we’ve tried other ones but still doesn`t work. Every interface in our systems is associated to a group and it’s configured in the custom properties panel:

attachments.zip
  • To add to aLTeReGo​'s comments there is a tool that can be beneficial here javip2086.  Accessed from the server is the Account Limitation Builder -

pastedImage_0.png

Using this tool will make it possible for you to set limitations based on these Custom Properties which can come in quite handy. 

pastedImage_1.png

They will be added to the bottom of the limitation list once created.

pastedImage_2.png

• Thanks jblankjblank, actually i think this is what i need first, because I can`t find this in the limitation view right now.

But the limitation should work using the other ones right?, I mean if we don`t use the limitation with custom properties, it should work with the limitations that the platform have for default?

• You can use other limitations certainly, but custom properties are often a good route to go to ensure you aren't missing a particular entity.  As David mentioned above, I may create a custom property of "Customer" and create drop down list of Customer A, B, C, D, etc...

• Thank you for your comments and support about it.

I’ll let you know if the issue stop after your suggestions.

Regards.

• Good morning.

About this post, the support team of solarwinds recommend the upgrade for resolve this issue.

Now we have the 12.3 version (let's say is a version without bugs) and we made a correction in the views for clients and it works right. We already have map, high utilization, nodes down, etc., and everything is working fine.

The one thing that we still have problem is when the user go into a interface, let me explain:

Home -> Select Node -> select Interface.

when the user is in the interface details, there`s a "home" menú in the top of the left and when the user select this menu, it shows all the interfaces of all the clients.

In this "home" is an option for "customize this list" and it can be modified for the users and when we select something different of "group", the restriction fails.

My question, ¿is there any way to hide this option from the views in general?

pastedImage_0.png

Regards.