This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

False reboot alerts

Hi All,

Newbie in forum here but already using Solarwinds for sometime, global monitoring. We got reboot alerts that turned out to be false. already troubleshooting with Solarwinds support but until today issue is still not fixed. Wondering if somebody can share thoughts, thanks!

• rodelmv  wrote:

Hi All,

Newbie in forum here but already using Solarwinds for sometime, global monitoring. We got reboot alerts that turned out to be false. already troubleshooting with Solarwinds support but until today issue is still not fixed. Wondering if somebody can share thoughts, thanks!

What alert was triggered? Do you mind sharing the definition of the alert? Are these for VMs or what entity ?

• Depending on the node, reboots may be unimpactful and seem false.  For example, I have 200+ APS UPS's on my network.  When Nexpose / Rapid7 do their vulnerability testing, the NIC's in some of these UPS's reload, and they generate a "Node rebooted" alert.  The NIC rebooted, but the UPS didn't. 

• Also toserena​'s point - it depends what entity it is and how you're monitoring it. The restart of an SNMP service will get caught as a reboot event I believe. Sometimes devices either have bugs that can cause this, or updates are performed (likely on windows or Linux systems that requires the service to restart.) And as rschroeder​ mentioned, some devices are simply terrible and can't handle certain events. Seen similar on UPS devices as well but no where near your 200+, just a small handful here. emoticons_happy.png emoticons_happy.png

• Hi Serena, thanks to your response. "Node rebooted" alerts is triggered. We continue to troubleshoot - now, the "Node rebooted" alert is sending email after 24 hours of the actual reboot. No more false alert coming since the alert is already genuine, only that we are receiving the the alert in email after 24 hours that should be immediate.  serena