17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2006 11:24 AM by chris.lapoint

Feature requests - Sign up

Network_Guru
      Well, the Orion forum has this Humongous thread, so why not the Toolset Forum as well?  What features/improvements would you like to see added to the Solarwinds Toolsets? Here's a few to start off;
      • Switchport Mapper;  - exclude uplink ports or any port with more than one MAC attached
      • IP Address Management;  - export/import capabilities from other Solarwinds servers  - multiple views/exports to Web (we publish IP's to our Orion web server and would like to limit views to only individual customers).  - ability to run as a service with multiple users able to manage the service.
      • Automated config download via TFTP;  - ala CiscoWorks (saves config whenever it sees a config change)
        -=Cheers=-           NG
        • Re: Feature requests - Sign up
          I think it is a resonable request to ask that the Database problem be resolved.  Adding the ability to use SQL for NPM instead of MS Access would be great.  In my opinion, this would not come close to making Toolsets more like Orion, which is what Solarwinds has told me on the phone.  Orion is a web-based management system, which Toolsets is not.  It would be nothing more then the Syslog option that was added in Ver 8 to use SQL.  This would solve alot of customer issues!

Lockheed Martin
          Atlas V Launch Operations
          Network Engineer
            I couldn't agree more with Bryan.  Getting the DB problem resolved within EE would be huge (no pun intended).  I posted a question to their support earlier this week regarding this issue, and have yet to get any kind of response.
              Network_Guru
              Addendum:  
              • IP Address Management tool 
              • - ability to stop the polling while adding/removing Networks to monitor
              I find the poller hangs the GUI while you are trying to manage the networks & settings.  -=Cheers=-           NG
                Okay, I've got one.  I'd like the ability to save custom graphs.  For example, every day, I create custom graphs for the previous day with 5 minute intervals, and every day I have to create the custom graph from scratch, same with weekly and monthly graphs.  I know there are some pre-configured graphs, but the powers that be want specific intervals that require custom graphs.  If I could save the parameters, it would be a snap to just load the parameters and be done with it.

Thanks,
                James
                  I would like to see a popup feature added to the Status column on Network Monitor so if a monitored device went down it would pop it to the top of the list. This way you could see it without having to scroll down through the list.

Dale Price
                  Data Center
                  Texas State Bank
                  McAllen, Texas
                    You can call out batch files and such to perfrom these type of functions.  I have mine set up send "net send" messages to my workstations where I sit, that way I get a popup alert for node actions.

Lockheed Martin
                    Network Engineer
                      Network_Guru
                      Here's another one for the DHCP Scope monitor tool.

Some of our DHCP servers have over 200 scopes on them. This gets very tedious selecting each one individually.
                      Rather than checking off 200 scopes, include a "select all" & "clear all" button.

-=Cheers=-
                                NG
                        A sniffer based tool would be great.
                          A couple things:
                          1) Ability to group nodes so that you could have alerts grouped by site or device type and then drill down if you get an alert on the upper level group. It would certainly make it easier to read the screen if you had 40 items instead of 400!

2) Central database across all the tools. Total duplication of effort to discover nodes in one tool then have to rediscover or manually enter them into another tool. It would be nice to do a discovery in something like IP Network Browser then just be able to import all the nodes into Network Performance Manager instead of having to manually create 400 nodes in NPM.
                            Network_Guru
                            Some of the features requested here are already part of Orion.
                            Chances are they are not included in EE, in order to differentiate the products.

-=Cheers=-
                                      NG
                              Fully and officailly support monitoring Unix servers(Linux,Aix, etc.)
                                NPM should have folders that flicker when a device within them alerts -
                                servers
                                important desktops
                                network gear
                                other SNMP devices
                                etc
                                etc

Will we get this stuff later? or is Orion where the development action is? I'll have a hard time selling Orion to upper management, but they do like what Ive produced with SW EE

"The conservative movement has been hijacked and turned into a globalist, interventionist, open borders ideology; which is not the conservative movement
                                I grew up with."
                                Pat Buchanan, NY Times, September 8 2002
                                  awstiver
                                  Smaller (or the ability to vary the size/content of) ping packets in IP Management and some other ping-based tools - some devices have a limit on the size of ping packets they will respond to.  This makes the IP addresses show up as Available, even though they are in use.  This problem seemed to show up in version 8.
                                    Craig Norborg
                                    quote:Originally posted by Network_Guru
                                    What features/improvements would you like to see added to the Solarwinds Toolsets?

Ok, I know that I'm constantly putting in SNMP communities in an out of various applications depending on what I'm looking for.  I'd like the ability to "group" SNMP communities and a unified way to select these from within every application.  ie:  I could have one group that we could call "defaults" which has "public, private" and whatever else you might define.  Then you could have a custom group called "company standard" which would comprise of your standard communit(y/ies).  And you could also have other custom groups to fit your need(s).

I'd also like to see a single unified "preferences" program that controls the preferences for all the utilities.  I like to have the ability to do "individual" prefs on the apps, but it would also be nice to do stuff like turn off the sounds in all applications in one place, or visa-versa.  Not to mention it would be nice to have the sounds able to be turned off in the toolbar - can't find how to do that in any docs I can find...

Craig Norborg
                                    Network Analyst
                                    Robert Bosch Corporation
                                      quote:Originally posted by Network_Guru

Some of the features requested here are already part of Orion.
                                      Chances are they are not included in EE, in order to differentiate the products.
                                      -=Cheers=-
                                                NG

The main difference between the two products is the web capability of Orion.  That is what makes it great for the enterprise environment.  NPM in the EE should offer the same capabilities and features without the web features.  As far as features go, the two products should be cross compatible.

Lockheed Martin
                                      Network Engineer
                                        Hi - I could sure use a command line launcher for port mapper.  I would like to run pm on all switches weekly to update our database of port connectivity. Current gui based manual method is probably not going to be sustainable.
                                        John
                                          chris.lapoint
                                          Hi all,

First of all, I want to say thank you for all your suggestions and please keep them coming!  I'm the new product manager for Toolset.  Just FYI, we've got a busy 2007 planned for Toolset. We're working on solidifying the details of our mid-year v9 release now and are also planning to have a year-end release. 

I've created a new thread to help us keep track of enhancement requests.

http://www4.solarwinds.net/SolarWindsForum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2626

Cheers,