6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2009 11:18 AM by TomTinsley

Connection tool options in Solarwinds

I was wondering if there are plans to redo the "telnet" tool to be a configurable option, and/or the possibility of adding SSH as a configurable tool option? I use SecureCRT and though I can hack SecureCRT to be my default "telnet" command, it would be great to be able to specify as a configurable option the full command line that I would like Solarwinds to use for "telnet" rather then assuming to use telnet.exe in a CMD window. I'd also like to see SSH added as configurable command tool. A lot of our routers are now SSH only, so telnet is no longer the best connection tool to use for me.
        • Re: Connection tool options in Solarwinds
          The tools simply lauch "telnet" where ever it is the the PATH environment variable.

So... many customer rename Telnet.exe to OldTelnet.exe and place Telnet.cmd or Telnet.bat in it's place.
          The Telnet.bat then calls whatever telnet.exe or ssh.exe program instead.
          Since you cannot just simply rename telnet.exe because the Windows OS will automatically replace it from one in dllcache.
          (It's a little harder than simply renaming it)

A better method would be to modify the PATH environment variable to include a directory that you place telnet.bat in.
          This way, the telnet.bat is run instead of telnet.exe.

Well, I already do what you suggest actually and it does work for me, but what I was really wondering if it's ever going to be something that would be configurable inside of the various Solarwinds programs rather than having to hack the environment to achieve the desired effect.
              Network_Guru
              Spiffy,

We too are migrating to SSH for all our routers & switches.
              See my post regarding this here:

http://www2.solarwinds.net/SolarWinds-Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1032

-=Cheers=-
                        NG
                Thanks Network_Guru! That's some good stuff that I can use.
                  quote:Originally posted by Don Yonce

The tools simply lauch "telnet" where ever it is the the PATH environment variable.

So... many customer rename Telnet.exe to OldTelnet.exe and place Telnet.cmd or Telnet.bat in it's place.
                  The Telnet.bat then calls whatever telnet.exe or ssh.exe program instead.
                  Since you cannot just simply rename telnet.exe because the Windows OS will automatically replace it from one in dllcache.
                  (It's a little harder than simply renaming it)

A better method would be to modify the PATH environment variable to include a directory that you place telnet.bat in.
                  This way, the telnet.bat is run instead of telnet.exe.

I've attempted to do this with W2000 and it does not work for me.  I went to Control Panel, System then the Advanced tab and added a Path environmental variable.  The other Path statment was remmed out.

It still calls the DOS telnet command.

Here is a script I wrote (with the help of BKelly www.adminscripteditor.com) to redirect telnet calls to SecureCRT.  Admin Script Editor also compiles this to an EXE file.  Of course I called it telnet.exe. i am sure you guys can greatly imporve on this as I am just a rookie at VBScript.

TomTinsley, CCNA, MCSE

Dim var1, strcmd
                    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
                    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                    Set objEnv = WshShell.Environment("Process")
                    crtPath = "C:\Progra~1\VanDyk~1\Clients\SecureCRT.exe"
                    var1 = objEnv("ASEEXEARGS")
                    If var1 = "" Then
                     var1 = "127.0.0.1"
                    End If
                    If Not objFSO.FileExists(crtPath) Then
                     MsgBox "Cannot find SecureCRT in C:\Program Files\VanDyke Software\Clients\SecureCRT.exe.", 0, "File Not Found"
                     WScript.Quit
                    End If
                    strcmd = crtPath & " " & "/telnet" & " " & var1

WshShell.Run strcmd, 0, False