This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MEMORY_ALLOCATION_EXT and PREEMPTIVE_XE_GETTARGETSTATE

The below query runs almost every hour during the day.  It is the #1 query in terms of total execution time for our SQL server which

Spent a significant amount of time on these wait activities

• MEMORY_ALLOCATION_EXT (13 seconds)
  • PREEMPTIVE_XE_GETTARGETSTATE (9 seconds)

SELECT target_data

FROM sys.dm_xe_session_targets xet

WITH

(

nolock

)

JOIN sys.dm_xe_sessions xes

WITH

(

nolock

)

ON xes.address = xet.event_session_address

WHERE xes.name = 'telemetry_xevents'

AND xet.target_name = 'ring_buffer'

I found that our SQL server has the default memory set (2147483647 MB).  I know that this is a bad practice.  Do you see that this may be the issue with DPA reporting the above?  I plan to allocate 80% to SQL and leaving 20% of total memory for OS.  Please advise if you have any information or encountered this before.  Thanks in advance.

Brian Tran

• Brian,

Do you think this query is causing problems in your environment? The waits you showed above were a total of 22 seconds, what timeframe is that for? How much free memory do you currently have on this server, i.e. is it running out with the current settings? Also, when you drill into this query in DPA, what program is executing it?

Thanks,

Dean

• Hello Dean,

Thanks for the reply.  This query runs every couple of hours, sometime every hours.  I reconfigured SQL max memory to 12 gigs from the default SQL setting on 12/17/2018 @5PM.  I do show an improvement today 12/18/2018 which is a good sign.  I will  continue to look to see if this starts an efficient trend and update this forum to help others in this situation. 

pastedImage_0.png