This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

sniffer / packet capture

Can anyone tell me if the engineer tools have the ability to packet sniff / capture? If not is there a good recommendation out there?

Thanks,
  • I don't believe that SW has the facility but all is not lost.

Have a look at a tool called Ethereal. It is a Sniffer/packet analyser written by Network engineers for network engineers and best of all its FREE.(www.ethereal.com). I have used a few in my time and this compares well with all of them. There is also a user forum with hints and tips etc.
  • EE Toolsets do not have any sniffer programs. If you want a good program at no expense, use Ethereal. This sniffer application is open source, runs on most operating systems (Unix, Windows) and is equal to costly programs such as Network Associates Sniffer Pro.

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • Thanks Everyone. I am currently looking at your recommendation.

• if you have the $$, www.opnet.com's ITGURU has the best capture solution on the market. It's paid for itself 20 times over... It's an agent on the server that captures when you tell it to and transfers the capture back to the console.. You can capture from several tiers at the same time and merge the traces. It will also import all other capture formats...

www.opnet.com/.../home.html

It also does extensive modeling...

It's our #1 IT tool....
    Solarwinds is #2...

quote:Originally posted by jtw

Can anyone tell me if the engineer tools have the ability to packet sniff / capture? If not is there a good recommendation out there?

Thanks,

• Actually, While Ethereal is good, a better bet is Packetlyzer which has Ethereal as the engine but a but a very "Etherpeek" like front end and it's FREE emoticons_happy.png

www.networkchemistry.com/.../index.php

Syngress has abook on how to use Ethereal which is pretty good.

MikeS
    www.packetattack.com