16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 8:28 AM by comtcjm

Downloading all assets into Excel

michelle.mcconnell@d303.org

I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can export all of our assets into and Excel file.  Even when I choose only a specific asset type it's not pulling everything into the search.  It seems to only bring up and allow me to export the first 1000 entries and that's it when in reality in our asset type of "Chromebook" we have over 12000 items.  Is there any way to do this? 

• Re: Downloading all assets into Excel
          typhoon87

I don't think so. So I had the same issue when I was trying to follow these instructions: How to export all asset data to an Excel spreadsheet - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support  and I created a support case. The issue is there is a hard coded timeout and if the timeout hits before its done you only get X number of assets. I pushed to have them update the document for now to say that but it appears it has not been updated. Also no notice if this will get fixed.

My case was Case # 00135995 - Unable to export all assets to Excel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              slvandewalle

Are you shift clicking when you check the select all box (I am assuming that you are since you are getting 1000 results)? I just exported just over 47,000 assets our of our database to an excel file. I have never had the problem that you both describe and have always been able to do this. We are running version 12.6 of WHD, an external Microsoft database, and 7 GB of RAM allocated to the front end application. I would guess that you are experiencing a bottleneck somewhere where you are not able to export more than 1000 assets.

typhoon87

You may want to open a case for it yourself and see if they have any additional information.

cmazko

Thank you for your feedback. I reached out to our Support team and also to the WHD tech writer to see if they can provide more info. Stay tuned.

typhoon87

Thank you for looking deeper into this. I am surprised you have not had more support cases for this issue.

typhoon87

Hello cmazko I wanted to reach back out on this now that is has been a few weeks and see if you came up with anything.

cmazko

Hello, Tom. I pinged my WHD contact again. In the meantime, I found something that may be useful. (Disclaimer: I'm a tech writer for SAM, not a developer or WHD expert.) A customer had a similar issue in 2017; a read timeout error occurred when updating Casper 9 discovery credentials. One Casper 9 connection worked OK with 10 assets but another connection timed out when uploading 30,000 assets. SW resolved the issue by creating a flag for the Casper 9 plugin in WHD 12.6.0.259.

Here is the JVM argument for the flag:

• Windows: wrapper.java.additional.XX=-DWHDCasperReadTimeout=<value>
                              • Linux, Mac: JAVA_OPTS="-DWHDCasperReadTimeout=<value>"

Here are additional details:

• Created specifically for Casper 9 functionality.
                              • Can be set in config file (wrapper-template.conf), under VM options with number of milliseconds

Hope this is helpful. I reviewed the case notes and it looks like the rep submitted this issue to Development as a New Feature Request. I'll add these details about the Casper 9 flag to the original article, along with the note about the limitation for the number of assets.

typhoon87

Hello cmazko Thank you fro looking into this. I am glad to see that they will update the KB however my issue had nothing to do with Casper/JAMF PRO. We actually are a Casper JAMF customer but currently do not have it hooked into WHD. Our import is coming from Microsoft SCCM. Does it have a similar override? Also How does the override for an import affect exporting the list already in the WHD database. I think we may be confusing two separate but similar issues.

michelle.mcconnell@d303.org

So here's what I received back from my case:

Log in as Admin\Setup\General\Options....Max Search Results. The "safe" Limit is between 1000 and 5000.

It does in fact produce more results, but in some cases I have way more than 5000 of one type of device. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            fluffy midnight

Hello,

I think you'll find that shift-clicking the tick icon will select all items within the search criteria you've set.

If you don't set any criteria and search for all assets, then shift-clicking the tick-box will allow you to export all of the items through TSV or Excel.

Resolution

Old Versions of Web Help Desk:

Shift-clicking on the tick-box turns the tick green. If you don't shift-click, the tick will be blue.

Here's a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve.

New Versions of Web Help Desk:

Shift-clicking on the tick-box turns the tick blue. If you don't shift-click, the tick will be grey.

Here's a screenshot of what you're trying to achieve.

It should not matter where the asset is from, if it's in the help desk then it'll be part of the search and can be exported with the above.

Please note that the export will take some time to download all of these assets, you may want to consider increasing the timeout if it fails downloading.

-Midnight

fluffy midnight

I forgot to mention, if you set the Max Search Results to a blank value, it'll display all items without an item limit.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  typhoon87

This does not work for me. I cant get it to give out more than 600 devices on an export and that was after I opened a support case and tweaked some settings with them initially I was only getting 300. They also informed me they were able to repro internally.

Here was what I had from support:

We were able to replicate this case using our own Web Helpdesk and there is a limitation with the number of assets that can be exported. You need to export a number of assets on each page until all assets has been exported to your Excel sheet.

Obviously if you have thousands or 10's of thousands of devices this is impractical even if you increase the amount of device shown per page

fluffy midnight

Very interesting, I've never come across this issue and it works perfectly fine for the many instances I have managed.

The code underlining the way exports and refreshes should be simple enough to fix, if you have any information you can provide regarding how I could recreate this issue, I'd be more than happy to try and assist!

Additional details such as what version you noticed the issue on and what version you are running now would be beneficial.

-Midnight

typhoon87

I was on 12.5.2 at the time I opened the case over this past summer, but I have upgraded to 12.6 as of 2 weeks ago I have not bothered to see if the issue is still present but I have not reason to believe its been resolved. I was not doing anything special all the devices were brought in either by manual creation (very small number mostly cell phones and printers) or by import from SCCM. I have a few thousand items total.

I was using all the default settings nothing special or overly unique. When it did not work I opened a support case.

comtcjm

I have found there are issues generally with exporting large inventories from WHD, I have > 65,000 assets. A lots of case it can bring the server to it's knees. I've had to result in sometimes multiple exports to get the data I needed.

Worth generally checking via Admin: Setup\General\Options....Max Search Results to blank. Logout and login again.

Change the assets column set back to default.

Find and removed all your invalid assets using this advanced query:

Assets matching ALL of these conditions:

Model "is blank"

Some of these may have NONE as an asset number or no data, check the asset details tab before deleting any on them!!

Click Clear then Search all assets under assets Basic search.

Shift click to select all.

Press Export using TSV rather than Excel.

or

Click Search all assets under assets Basic search. Search for a small range assets 1 - 600, then 601 -1200.. etc

Shift click to select all.

Press Export

Depending how many assets and custom fields you have, the export process can take a long time, sometime the feeling of almost giving up then suddenly your browser responds with a save box. Note also here that an additional browser pop windows appears blank, but the main WHD tab is the one which will prompt a location to save the export. Keep an eye on your browse windows. I've sat waiting 40 minutes when eventually an export works.

regards

Chris