3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 4:01 PM by mesverrum

What process shall I use to install a new certificate for SolarWinds NPM web access?

rschroeder

My company no longer accepts using the SolarWinds self-signed certificate to access web pages.

What process must be used to install a new certificate?

What style/type of certificate is required?  (e.g.:  X.509 certificates in .PEM format, or *.cer *.p7b or *.pfx). 

What method does one follow to create a CSR, from which our CA can sign it without knowing the private key?

I found a thread with some cumbersome instructions here:  Change SolarWinds Information Services SSL Certificate     Surely there's a more graceful and simple method, isn't there?

Yours, wishing the swiftest packets for you & your friends,

Rick Schroeder

• Re: What process shall I use to install a new certificate for SolarWinds NPM web access?
          jm_sysadmin

So here we have an Internal PKI running on a Microsoft server, and that PKI allows you to request a cert from any windows server and it put it in the right place. Solarwinds will see a website cert and allow you to use it when you run the config wizard. So I would bet that your company also has an internal PKI and somebody runs it who can assist. I would email that person and ask for a cert if you aren't sure, but here are my notes from adding a web cert via a Microsoft PKI. It will be mostly the same assuming you also have a internal PKI configured in a normal way, but you may not. I hope it helps.

*******************************************************************************************************

Login to the server that you need to request a certificate for

Go to Apps page

Type in MMC.exe

Right click run as admin

Click Yes

File ->Add/remove snap in

Click Certificates - Add

Click Computer account

Click Next
          Local Computer - Finish

Click Ok

Double click -> Personal

Right click on the Certificates folder

All tasks

Request new certificate

Click Next

Click Next (but this is where you may see differences in your environment)

Scroll to find a Web cert, We have a cookie cutter web cert that just uses the server name and one that we can customize and add in Alias and IPs. Your mileage may vary.

2 of 2 people found this helpful