This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SwisPowerShell 'error verifying security for message'

Hi Folks

I'm getting an error using SwisPowerShell cmdlets (v2.3.0.108)

e.g.

Get-SwisData : An error occurred when verifying security for the message.

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-SwisData -SwisConnection $swis -Query 'Select SysName from Orion. ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-SwisData], MessageSecurityException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SwisError,SwisPowerShell.GetSwisData

The problem appears to be intermittent in that I was successfully using the cmdlets 24 hours ago.

I also can't connect using SWQL Studio  although I can't verify that was working previously as I only found out about it today.

I'm using an AD login which allows successful access through the web console

Connect-Swis does not throw any errors

I have tested using SWQL Studio from both my workstation and Orion Server and powershell console both workstation and Orion Server..

I've read the previous posts on this subject but none of them are really offering me a solution

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

Update:  I noticed this in  Orion.InformationService log, may or may not be relevant ?

2018-10-10 12:53:45,156 [8] ERROR SolarWinds.Data.Providers.Orion.DynamicServicesHost - (null) (null)  Failed to Start IDynamicHostService SolarWinds.Orion.HighAvailability.Swis.SwisPoolPluginsProvider. System.ArgumentException: A service entry for 'SolarWinds.Orion.HighAvailability.Common.Plugins.PoolPluginsProviderBase' already exists

at SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.InformationServiceHost.Add(String key, Object serviceImplementation)

at SolarWinds.Data.Providers.Orion.DynamicServicesHost.InitializeDynamicServices()

• With Connect-Swis, are you typing in a username/password or are you using the -Trusted option to pass your login token?

Are you able to connect if you use a non-AD (Orion) account? I have seen issues with SWIS and AD authentication in some environments.

Connect-Swis doesn't actually open a connection. That is deferred until first use.

That DynamicServicesHost error in the log is almost certainly unrelated.

• Hi , thanks for responding.

I'm passing through an AD service account as a PSCredential

Unfortunately I don't have access to a SolarWinds account 

The good news is... it's fixed itself overnight.

The bad news is... it's fixed itself overnight.

I'm implementing server build automation to include enrolment and deletion from SolarWinds, should I be concerned about reliability issues with this approach ?

Could be because I had multiple connections open (from both development platform & powershell) for testing ?

Steve

• Intermittent issues are the worst! Multiple connections open should not cause any problems. SWIS normally handles lots of simultaneous connections.

Post again if the problem recurs and we'll continue troubleshooting.

• Hi

It's held together all day, no issues at all. I'll leave it just now, hopefully it was environmental or personal weirdness.

regards

Steve C