This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help needed! How to route same alert for 3 different teams

Hi All,

I have one requirement wherein i need to trigger the alerts to teams based on what they manage. Ex: Windows servers to Windows Team, SAN to Storage team etc..

I am currently having Solarwinds integrated to SNOW via powershell script...

Now is there any better way rather than creating separate alerts for each group by defining a custom property.. I want to avoid creating more number of alerts and hence reaching out to everyone here...

• Thanks neomatrix1217

Yes that option i would have to use.. just wanted to know incase there is any other easy option.. i have around 8 alerts so this would mean i would have same alert twice since grps are different...

• Do the different teams use different groups within Service Now or did you want email alerts to 3 different groups depending on the device?

If you want different email addresses (ie Windows Servers to serversupport@company.com, SAN Storage to storagesupport@company.com, Routers/Switches to networksupport@company.com) then you can create a custom property and call it something along the lines of SupportTeamEmail - Then you populate each node with the relevant email address depending on its type, so you add serversupport@company.com to all the servers, you add networksupport@company.com to all your network kit.

Then in your email you don't need to be specific on the Trigger conditions, but in the Trigger Actions Send an Email you can put in the TO Field the custom property value as: ${N=SwisEntity;M=CustomProperties.SupportTeamEmail} and then it will choose the right email depending on the node that triggered the alert.

• Hi David,

Groups are in SNOW only but the segregation i need to do it on Solarwinds... the email part what u mentioned, i had read it earlier and suits in may cases... but this time i need to have the alert get converted into ticket in SNOW...

• Hi pratikmehta003​,

I totally agree with you and my fellow thwackers, but why do you want to do this on SolarWinds ?

You already have a good setup and from what I understand you have generic alerts in place within SolarWinds, which is integrated with SNOW (via power shell), having generic alerts is easy to manage and as well keeps your environment clean.

My suggestion would be a little different, you could always get a rule created on SNOW, now SolarWinds is sending Title to SNOW which would look like this for example : "NODE ABC DOWN" along with that it as well sends required parameters like severity, prio, description, category, sub category etc....

You can always add "Vendor or Custom attribute value onto the title field that you send" like for example -> "WINDOWS: NODE ABC DOWN" or "STORAGE: Node XXX Down", ask the SNOW developer to add an additional rule which picks the first word on title and populate the Assignment Group on the ticket.

IF FIRST WORD ON TITLE FIELD=WINDOWS, then ASSIGNMENT GROUP=WINDOWSRUNTEAM

IF FIRST WORD ON TITLE FIELD=STORAGE, then ASSIGNMENT GROUP=STORUNTEAM

IF FIRST WORD ON TITLE FIELD=LINUX, then ASSIGNMENT GROUP=LINUXRUNTEAM

Let the assignment group field be dynamic based on the rule.

Hope it helps.

• Create event rules in SNOW, and a matching alert action rule, or possibly task template if you are linking them to incidents. One Solarwinds alert can be broken out into different items in SNOW.

• yes my first preference is SNOW for this but the prob that i have is, the instance of SNOW is managed  by customer and folks here dont want them to do anything...

and so this came down to solarwinds side...