This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Timeout When Invoking AddInterfacesOnNode

Greetings Thwack,

I have been working on using the SDK to automatically add relevant interfaces to monitoring. Since the lite discovery is missing a lot of data I need to make decisions on what interfaces I want to monitor, I've been leveraging the results of my weekly NCM inventory to add interfaces which meet the necessary criteria. This has been working great, but on some nodes I'm encountering a timeout when invoking AddInterfacesOnNode. Despite the fact that I'm not invoking DiscoverInterfacesOnNode, the AddInterfacesOnNode verb seems to still run a discovery before adding the interfaces.

The nodes I'm having issues with are expected to take between 8 and 10 minutes to complete discovery because of the number of interfaces that exist (nearly 5000 per device). I followed along with the troubleshooting in this thread (Discover Interfaces on node (powershell and curl) ) and was not able to get the timeout to increase. To be specific, I increased the timeouts in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\NPM\SolarWinds.NPM.BusinessLayer.dll.config for "NPM.NetTcpBinding" to 15 minutes, and {ORION_INSTALL_PATH}\SolarWinds\Orion\Information Service\3.0\Plugins\SolarWinds.Data.Providers.NPM.v3.dll.config for "DiscoverTimeout" also to 15 minutes.

The information service log file shows the following when the AddInterfacesOnNode verb times out:

2018-10-04 16:31:29,217 [96] WARN  SolarWinds.InformationService.Core.InformationService - (null) (null)  Support! -- LONG RUNNING QUERY: OperationContextId e28970b5-35c5-49fb-83ad-13587a3a0808 - Query took 300093.2922 ms: Verb Orion.NPM.Interfaces.AddInterfacesOnNode

If I invoke AddInterfacesOnNode against one of the problem nodes using SWQL Studio, I receive the following error:

<Return z:Id="1" xmlns="">schemas.datacontract.org/.../SolarWinds.InformationService.Contract" xmlns:d1p1="">schemas.solarwinds.com/.../NPM" xmlns:i="">www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:z="">schemas.microsoft.com/.../"> <d1p1:DiscoveredInterfaces i:nil="true" />
<d1p1:Result>GenericError</d1p1:Result>
</Return>

Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!