This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows 2003 detection

I'm running 2002 Engineer's Edition, and noticed that SNMPSweep does not pick up any of my Windows 2003 Server information. It only shows the IP and the DNS Lookup.
I have verified that all the servers have SNMP installed. It was installed from the Windows 2003 server cd using add/remove programs. I have also downloaded and registered the new SNMPv50.ocx from the solarwinds site.
I think it is more accurate to say that Solarwinds EE is not picking up the SNMP information from any of my 2003 servers at all as the IP Network Browser will not display any information either.
Has anyone alse experienced this? If so, did you fix it? How?
Thanks.
  • Check the security tab on the server's SNMP service properties.
    Check if there is an ACL applied which limits SNMP polling to certain hosts.
    If there is, then add the IP or name of your EE server to the ACL so that it is allowed
    to poll the server.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • IT WORKS! What you suggested was partly the problem. It was also that I had not set up any accepted community strings in the properties of the service. I didn't know you had to since Windows 2000 accepts snmp packets by default when you install the service. I guess I can't blame MS for wanting to be a bit more secure.
    Thanks for your help.
  • That's good to hear Z. Using "public" for a community string is a very bad idea in the first place.
    Anyone can gain a lot of info from a device from SNMP, including users on your own network. The tools
    to do this are easy to get and install. I'm not amazed Micro$oft didn't do this sooner, as they seem
    to leave their software wide open by default.

-=Cheers=-
    NG