This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling Engine Update Order Post Migration

Hi all,

I have recently migrated our SolarWinds environment to new hosts with new hostnames and IPs.  After the migration I noticed that the order for updating my polling engines had changed.  While I don't know that this affects the environment in any way, my OCD is keeping me up a night!

I have now performed this migration a few times (for reasons not related to this post) and I've been looking at the various tables in the database.  The first table, modified in accordance with the migration instructions from SolarWinds, is dbo.Engines.  In this list my servers are listed in their correct numerical order with EngineID for the servers in this order: primary - 2, 1st APE - 7, 2nd APE - 8, 3rd APE - 9, 4th APE - 10.  However, once I installed SolarWinds and began installing the additional polling engines, I was instructed to install in this order 1st APE, 3rd APE, 2nd APE, 4th APE.

I'm assuming that SolarWinds gets the installation and update order from the dbo.OrionServers because the column OrionServerID in that list is primary - 1, 1st APE - 2, 3rd APE - 3, 2nd APE - 4, 4th APE - 5.

Again, I don't know if this has an effect on overall system functionality but, unless I missed something during the initial installation on the new servers, I'm not understanding why this has happened.

Thanks!

• Hi collinsros​ I’m glad I’m not the only one with OCD about these things, but rest assured the order makes no impact on your system. You can upgrade your APE’s in any order as long as you ALWAYS upgrade the Primary first, and then update ALL additional servers second (you ca upgrade in any order but they won’t work until upgraded to match the Primary).

if it bothers you that much you can run a clean up script on your DB and then run the config wizard on each server in sequence which will recreate the entries in the DB.

• Whew!  Thanks David, I think I can handle that.  Is the clean up script you're talking about available in the SolarWinds knowledge base?