4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2004 10:15 AM by robertkulp

Syslog as a service?

I have tried using the Win2k Resource Kit to make the syslog exe a service. However, everytime I try and start it, it errors out with the er msg...

Event Type:     Error
      Event Source:     Service Control Manager
      Event Category:     None
      Event ID:     7000
      Date:          3/26/2004
      Time:          4:21:13 PM
      User:          N/A
      Computer:     WS-78-01-195
      Description:
      The SWSyslogD service failed to start due to the following error:
      The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Has anyone successfully made this a service? Before I started using the SW Syslog I was using the free Kiwi Syslog Daemon, whic ran as a service in the backround but I like the fact that the SW has more features and that it goes righ tinto an mdb rather than a delimited text file.

TIA

Luis
        • Re: Syslog as a service?
          Here is the deal..  The Solarwinds apps do not play was with these external service programs.  I have tried SRVANY.exe and others and always find a problem.  What I did was put all of the programs in the startup folder including the screensaver.exe program.  Then I used an adminstrative account and setup an autologin..  So if the computer is restarted, it will log in automatically, start all of the programs in the startup folder and then activate the screensaver which is password protected.  It is not the prettiest solution but it is the only thing that I have found that works.. I'm not overlly worried about people gaining access to the computer, it they get by the guard with the M16, have at it=)

Lockheed Martin
          Atlas V Launch Operations
          Network Engineer
            LOL, I met an engineer from Lockheed last Dec on a flight to FLA. Weird stuff man...much different than the banking world! Though I wouldn't mind the novelty of walking by a guard with an M16 every morning, its just a little too 1984 for me :-P. Well, the main issues right now are the fact that you have to have all of the applications open and the windows in your way, as opposed to just leaving it running in the background and attach something like crystal or something to the database file! Well thanks for the info; it will save me time trying to fight with it!

Also...what do you guys do in the way of documentation? We are a department of 4, one boss, one helpdesk person and two Admins (me being one of them). I need to get a grasp of change management and documentation standards and I am having a little bit of a hard time!!

Thanks for the reply!!

Luis
              If you use a Terminal Services session to the server running the Solarwinds tools... you logon, run your tools, disconnect and voila it's kind of running in the background

Cheers
              Ric Knight
                I've used Kiwi's commercial version of syslogd and it works great. You can send it to an Access database or another ODBC database. Plus, it runs great as a service.

Robert Kulp
                Information Services Mgr
                Town of Smyrna - TN