9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2019 3:43 AM by HerrDoktor

Internet connection required for offline installer

ianbcanberra

When I am trying to install the SAM 6.6 (solarwinds-orion-sam-6.6-offlineinstaller) in a new server without any internet connection I get the error stating that there is no internet connection

Given that I am using the OFFLINE installer I would have thought that the requirement to connect to the internet would be obviously NOT needed.

I have read in other discussions that this is a known issue with other installers. I am just wondering why this same issue is reoccurring all the time.

Not all networks allow their servers to have internet connections and that is why we use the offline variant.

I have tried to install just some of the other components that are available and am getting the same result. It does not matter if I run as local admin, administrator or my domain account the check always fails

I am going to download the solarwinds-orion-offlineinstaller to see if that installs without any internet connection. I expect it to fail as well though

• Re: Internet connection required for offline installer
          David Smith

Try downloading and installing .NET and IIS yourself as it is supposed to be bundled in the installer, but I have seen this before where it still tries to download the latest version online.

dmel

I was told to run the offline installer from an ADMIN/Elevated command line and to add '/notests'

This bypasses all the checks (Internet/OS/Cert, etc) however, I am still having an issue that it wants to download some SQL components.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                osborne_graham

/notests fixed it for me. Its the first time I've seen that switch mentioned anywhere. Definitely one to make a note of for future as I've had problems in the past where tests have failed when they should have passed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    chucksimalchik

I'm having this same issue with Solarwinds-Orion-HotFix-2018.2-OfflineInstaller.exe. In this case the server HAS an internet connection (I can get to all the SW pages, etc.) but still cries that it needs an Internet connection.

Before I try /notests to see if it works, after the point where the installer does the checks, is there one more click available to start the installer? I'd like to see if the switch works today as a preflight check, but don't have approval for installation today. I don't want to run this just for preflight check and have it just start the installation if run with /notests. Thanks.

David Smith

Just to confirm I today had the same issue with the Offline installer coming up telling me I didn't have internet access and to download the offline installer. This was a customer upgrade, who were going from NPM12.0 to NPM12.3. As they didn't have Svr 2016 I couldn't use the Online installer as it takes you to 12.4. Even the linked OfflineInstaller downloads 12.4.

I downloaded the 12.3 Offline installer, and ran it with /notests - This worked correctly, and it still gave me the option to select the NTA Version (Go to NTA4.4 or stay on NTA 4.2.3) and it also warned me about WPM Players and Domain Account, but otherwise seemed to work fine.

serena

dgsmith80  wrote:

Just to confirm I today had the same issue with the Offline installer coming up telling me I didn't have internet access and to download the offline installer. This was a customer upgrade, who were going from NPM12.0 to NPM12.3. As they didn't have Svr 2016 I couldn't use the Online installer as it takes you to 12.4. Even the linked OfflineInstaller downloads 12.4.

I downloaded the 12.3 Offline installer, and ran it with /notests - This worked correctly, and it still gave me the option to select the NTA Version (Go to NTA4.4 or stay on NTA 4.2.3) and it also warned me about WPM Players and Domain Account, but otherwise seemed to work fine.

Please file a support ticket when you see these things because we need to know to repackage the offline installer.

jwilker

While the notests flag will work,  there is a good chance that you will have issues later.  I found out from support that this happens when files are prereqs missing as part of the installer.  If you contact support they will help you find what components are missing.  In my case it was sqlcli_x64 and sqlcli_x86.

serena

jwilker  wrote:

While the notests flag will work,  there is a good chance that you will have issues later.  I found out from support that this happens when files are prereqs missing as part of the installer.  If you contact support they will help you find what components are missing.  In my case it was sqlcli_x64 and sqlcli_x86.

Contacting support is definitely the way to go because we can repack and address the issue quickly.

HerrDoktor

So it happened again, NCM-7.8 Offline installer is also asking for an Internetconnection.

If you are on NCM 7.7 (without HF4) it also tries to download the 7.7 HF4 INstaller. So be aware the /notests Switch won't work here, you need to get HF4 as well

Cheers