This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NTA Historical Data Access

I'm prepping to upgrade my production environment to the latest releases (NTA 4.4+), but I need a solution to allow access to the current NTA database (4.2.1).

I have a test environment with NTA 4.2.3 installed and was hoping that I could point it to my existing NTA database for access. Has anyone tried this before?

Would there be any conflicts if I pointed my test environment to the NTA DB while its still being utilized in my production environment? Or should I wait until I have prod connected to my new NTA SQL database?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• SolarWinds support docs only mentions that you can point a test/eval instance running pre-4.4 NTA to the old fast bit database.

I'm not sure if it would be safe setting up the test instance to point to it before updating. Curious if SolarWinds would allow that to even happen, though if it did you could end up corrupting data as they both would be primary NTA servers and think they own it. I'd play it safe and preserve the data. As soon as the services are shutoff on the main and you're starting the upgrade to 4.4 -- that'd be a good time to run the config wizard on the test instance and bring up the old data asap.

My 2 cents...

• Why don't you just copy the data to your test environment and run it locally on the same server as it's only going to be for a short period it should be Ok? You would need to backup and import your existing production database into the test system as well so that the flow data is correlated to your Nodes, otherwise, you will have to re-create all of that which sort of defeats the point.