This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Servers added in the last 12 month Report

Hi there,

I have been given the task of running a report to show servers that have been added in the last 12 months. Is this possible? If it is, would you then be able to add anything else to it, such as say, disk usage?

Rgds,

Terry

• Hi Terry,

I assume you mean servers added to SolarWinds? The Auditing Event table would show a log of all new Nodes added for as long as you keep that information (Check your retention settings). Then you would need to run a query to correlate the information with something like the Volumes table so that it could show you all nodes added and then the disk usage of the volumes for those nodes. However, the Volumes table would give you disk usage for the server at the time of running the report, not a historical view.

Another option could be that you set up an alert o notify you whenever a Node is added, and then you correlate that information offline.

Hope that points you in the right direction if you get stuck come back to me.

Cheers

David

• Thanks David,

That has pointed me in the right direction. I think I am now getting stuck with the query part, I can create a report just showing Nodes added from the last 12 months fine. How would I run the query that would allow me to also show disk space on said servers?

Terry

Terry Mitchinson

IT Support Analyst

T: +442088146619

M: +447876258293

E: Terry.Mitchinson@firstrate.co.uk

First Rate Exchange Services Ltd.

Great West House. Great West Road. Brentford. TW8 9DF

www.firstrate.co.uk

The experts in foreign exchange

Data Classification: Amber - Internal

• Actually, just checked it again and that doesn’t necessarily work how I would like. It picks up everything like Printers :s

Maybe there are better options on the Legacy Report Writer?

Terry Mitchinson

IT Support Analyst

T: +442088146619

M: +447876258293

E: Terry.Mitchinson@firstrate.co.uk

First Rate Exchange Services Ltd.

Great West House. Great West Road. Brentford. TW8 9DF

www.firstrate.co.uk

The experts in foreign exchange

Data Classification: Amber - Internal

• Hi Terry,

Definitely doable.

As David mentioned the Audit log is the 'ideal' place to search, however 12month retention on events would probably kill your DB. Perhaps worth scheduling it monthly.

A way of doing it historically would be report on any constant historical statistic (status maybe) for Vendor = Windows and display the oldest statistic found along with the timestamp collumn (minimum in legacy report writer), you could then link drive stats and anything else relevant.

You absolutely would run into problems that way with nodes that were readded or something like that. Not sure what unmanaged statuses would do to it either.

• Hey adam.beedell

I managed to get the report sorted with David for items added in the last 12 months with a bit of SWQL. (over my head, for now.) Now I have the problem of needing a disk space usage report from 12 months ago, and the same for now. I am also struggling to find a way in which I can save my reports on the legacy writer without overwriting the out of the box one.

Is the Web based one as good? Am I able to do the same things?

• Hi Terry,

Web-based reports has been getting better recently, generally i've found it serves just fine for all but complicated/obscure queries. It's generally easier to work with the output in my opinion too.

You can kind-of copy the SQL query out of legacy report writer and run it through the web, but it's real messy and I wouldn't recommend it.

You can do that sort of report in the web by asking for average disk use for a defined period 12 months ago, and another report for the same group today. Or you can ask for average disk use over the last 12 months and change the time settings to Sample Interval -> [month/quarter/whatever] and add a bit of excel to see how it changes over time.

Havn't found a particularly convenient way to do that as two columns in the same report, but you could do that in SQL/SWQL

Probably a few other methods scattered about too emoticons_happy.png

• Thanks for the reply Adam,

I am getting stuck selecting the right options to display average disk space for a set time period… Just being a bit daft. I must be looking right at it.

Terry

• Cant take a screenshot at the moment for silly reasons,

Make a custom table

select your servers (vendor=windows or something)

set all the columns and whatnot (include a historical statistic like average disk space)

save the table (submit)

on the report layout page there will be a time value ("For [dataset] From [time value]") select custom, should be good to go from there

• Thanks, giving that a shot now.

• Adam,

Many thanks! Took a few attempts fiddling with conditions but we got there. Relaxed