4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2018 2:28 PM by jameslindsay

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Cluster

jameslindsay

I have two servers in a cluster

Host1 - IP1

Host2 - IP2

Cluster IP3

When deploying this template is it deployed to both members, one member, or the Cluster IP?

• Re: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Cluster
          jvb

Apply the template to the cluster IP.

I would also manage both physical nodes as Orion nodes to keep an eye on the stuff that doesn't failover. For example the C drive on each physical node.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jameslindsay

Thank you for the reply. When applying this template, it wants you to select a node from the node list and doesn't give an option for selecting an IP address. IP3 doesn't appear to be a node and when I try to add it, I get nothing. FWIW, this cluster is an Active Active SQL configuration. Interestingly, I found that

Host1 - IP1 also shows the IP for the Cluster as an interface of the node

Host2 - IP2 does not

I applied the template to Host1 so I'm still not sure I have this right.

jvb

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial reply. You need to add the cluster IP as a node as well

before you try to apply the template. When you are adding the cluster VIP and it goes through the step

of listing resources and asking you what to monitor on that node, I would de-select things like the C drive etc.

because those are things bubbling up from the current physical node the VIP is pointed to.

In other words, when adding the VIP as a node don't select things that won't move (C drive) in a fail over.

Then go back and apply the template to the VIP (cluster IP) "node"

1 of 1 people found this helpful