This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NTA Installation Fails - SQL using AD Groups

Hi all,

NPM and NTA installation fails when using an Active Directory User for authentication within an Active Directory group. AD Group has sysadmin priv. on SQL. An AD user (not in a group) added to SQL with sysadmin priv. works just fine.

pastedImage_0.png

Using Eval offline installer, lateset version. Installing on Windows Server 2016 Data Center with latest patches. SQL 2017 in use on another server using SQL and AD authentication.

Is this a bug?

rgds

Dave

• Hello Dave,

I have encountered the same error, and discovered the following permission setting is required on other pages here in thwack:

Do I need some special SQL server permissions?

Yes. The NTA Flow Storage database account requires the ALTER ANY CONNECTION permission in order to schedule and optimize the daily database maintenance task. This ensures that SolarWinds minimizes the performance impact of the maintenance task, and maintains the overall performance of the database.

Using SQL Management Studio, run the following command to grant permissions:

USE master

GRANT ALTER ANY CONNECTION TO <grantee> [ AS <grantor> ]

I am waiting for my DBA team to grant this access to try to run Config Wiz again.

Regards,

JoePoutre

• I can confirm this is still an issue. Added an AD group instead of the individual user account within that AD group to the permissions and it wouldn't work. As soon as I created a new Login in SQL for the user within that group, it worked just fine.