This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can Standby Solarwinds instance be used with single DB in DC/DR scenario?

Hi All,

Need some inputs/suggestions please.

We have a scenario where in customer is having DC/DR setup. We need to place Solarwinds in similar way but there are some below limitations/restrictions.

1. We do have shared storage available.

2. DC and DR are having different subnet so when either fails over, IP shema will be different.

So as per my finding i see only 1 option which is using Active-Standby method with 1 change. That is, we use only Database across DC/DR. Database will be covered under SRM so at any disaster scenario, DB will be brought up and there will be proper DNS settings done so that solarwinds identifies the instance name.

So can anyone let me know if we can go with this approach? OR is there any other better option available.

• I'm going to suggest that if you have a modern install you probably want to have an always on SQLserver cluster replicating across the two locations -- this is normally setup by DBA, but it's fairly simple for mere mortals to setup.

The Solarwinds HA product will (does) work in a WAN environment, and if you have Dynamic DNS available will automatically do the IP address<>DNS changes for you when it fails over between the primary and secondary location.

you COULD have the software installed in both locations, but one of them will not have licences, so you'll be in the position of having to sort out licencing as well. (And if you do have duplicate licences the the HA licence is cheaper than another SW licence, so...) Frankly if I'm managing a network that has that level of failure the network engineering staff will be fully engaged fixing the network, and not getting Orion back up and running.

• RichardLetts

Thanks first of all for responding so quick...

Coming to your 1st suggestion on SQL AlwaysOn--> As i mentioned i dont have shared storage available between both DC's. So this option i cannot go with...

The 2nd point which u have mentioned abt DNS being dynamically available--> are you referring to Solarwinds application + DB? What i am trying figure out is on the DB level...if i have solarwinds app and DB in Primary DC up and running and DR site having only solarwinds standby application which will be pointing to DB in primary DC. So when the primary solarwinds for some reason fails over to Standby, then will it have any major implications to DB?  AND   other use case here would be if DR is invoked then the primary DB will be replicated from DC to DR so again in this case will there be any issues on DB side for data sync or any other issue....

And the last point, yes my suggestion to mgmt is we buy the Solarwinds HA license but the whole point is revolving arnd the design which went in without considering all points and now ppl are struggling to understand...

• Thanks vinay.by

I had already checked the thread but not sure if that license is still valid...

alexslv​ By any chance you know if the DR license u mentioned in your thread is still provided by Solarwinds?  I have submitted a ticket but still wanna check with you... and any suggestions from your side on this query that i have posted...

• anyone else having different views or details that could help me?

• And can we use DB mirroring for the DC/DR on database level?