4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2004 2:24 PM by jmooney

How to stop Network Monitor from stopping

I have Network Monitor running on a NT server.  I created an account to log into the system for Solarwinds.  When logged into the account and running Network monitor things are fine.  When I log out the monitor is shut down.  How can I set this up to run when I am not logged in as the Solarwinds user account.
      Thanks,
      Joe
        • Re: How to stop Network Monitor from stopping
          Don't log off... the Network Performance Monitor and Network Monitor apps don't run as a service so they need to be logged on... I run MS Terminal services on my server and then run the monitors in a disconnected session on the server under their own userID.

Another option would be to use an application that runs programs as a service (like srvany.exe). No gaurantee that the network monitors will support this type of arrangement.. Look in the Solar winds TFTP Server help about running as a service for more info.

Cheers
          Ric Knight
            srvany.exe works but it causes problems with the way the applications work.  I tried this method and found little bugs like printing issues and such.  These problems didn't happend when I started the application normally..

Lockheed Martin
            Atlas V Launch Operations
            Network Engineer
              Thanks for the reply Ric. I had already moved past the "Don't log off" point in the troubleshooting process. ; ) The terminal services idea is a good one.
              Thanks,
              -Joe

quote:Originally posted by rknight

Don't log off... the Network Performance Monitor and Network Monitor apps don't run as a service so they need to be logged on... I run MS Terminal services on my server and then run the monitors in a disconnected session on the server under their own userID.

Another option would be to use an application that runs programs as a service (like srvany.exe). No gaurantee that the network monitors will support this type of arrangement.. Look in the Solar winds TFTP Server help about running as a service for more info.

Cheers
              Ric Knight
                Thanks Lockheed.
                -Joe

quote:Originally posted by Bryan

srvany.exe works but it causes problems with the way the applications work. I tried this method and found little bugs like printing issues and such. These problems didn't happend when I started the application normally..

Lockheed Martin
                Atlas V Launch Operations
                Network Engineer