This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ORION server and DB Migration to Virtual Server

Hi to all.

I need some help for the migration of the servers (ORION and SolarWinds DB) to another hardware with more resources (CPU, RAM, etc.).

We are running this version and functionalities:

Orion Platform 2017.1.3 SP3, VIM 7.0.0, NPM 12.1, QoE 2.3, Toolset 11.0.6, NetPath 1.1.0

We want to migrate the ORION Server to a virtual environment and to the latest version and the DB will keep in a physical server (as the recommendations explain), but I have some doubts about the proceed.

¿How can I check if the licenses are for a Small/Medium/Large  levels?

¿Can I use the same licenses  of the oldest version in the new one or should I buy new ones in the latest version?

Currently we have this:

MAIN ORION SERVER DETAILS

Orion

Module NameOrion Platform
Version2017.1.3
Service Pack3
Nodes currently monitored9101
Total nodes in licenseunlimited
Volumes currently monitored390
Total volumes in licenseunlimited
Total HA Pools in use0
Total HA Pools in License0

NPM

LicenseProduction
Product NameNetwork Performance Monitor
Version12.1
Service PackNone
Current number of interfaces14788
Allowed number of interfacesunlimited

VIM

License
Product NameVirtual Infrastructure Monitor
Version7.0.0
Service PackNone
Allowed number of sockets0
License TypeUnknown

Toolset

Product NameToolset
Version11.0.6
Service PackNone
LicenseProduction
Number of Activated Licenses1
Nodes in License(s)10
Volumes in License(s)10
Seats in License(s)4
Seats Taken4
Seats Available0

NetPath

Module NameNetPath
Version1.1.0
Service PackNone

ADDITIONAL POLLERS

Orion on POLLERTB-SRV

LicenseProduction
Version2017.1
Service PackNone

Orion on POLLERSWBUC3

LicenseProduction
Version2017.1.3
Service Pack3

¿Do I have to update the "old server" to the latest version before the migration?

¿Do I need to run the Network Discovery in the new server or if I migrate the DB to the new one assures me to have monitored the same elements that in the old server?

If we want to activate the NTA tool, ¿Do we need to install an extra server for the DB and tool or should I use the same DB for SolarWinds and NTA?

¿Can I request a ticket for support during the migration process?

This is the hardware resources that we are requesting:

CPU

RAM

Hard Drive

Network Card

Operative System

DB OS

ORION Server

5 cores

32GB

200GB x 15K RPM

1 Gb dedicada

Windows Server 2016/2012R2/2012/ Standard  or Datacenter Edition

SolarWinds DB

* Quad Core or superior * CPU de 64 Cores de última generación mayor de 3.3GHz

256GB        recommended 512GB

2TB (mounted on SAN - optical interface) and 500 GB HD

1Gb LAN port

Windows Server 2016/2012R2/2012/ Standard  or Datacenter Edition

SQL Server 2017/2016/2014/2012/Standard or Enterprise Edition

Para servidores adicionales:

for NPMs

128 GB RAM,  2 XEON last generation superior to 3.3 Ghz, Window SRV 2016 enterprise, RAID Controller Card, 500 GB HD (2) o 4 of 256GB

For Pollers (virtualized):

32GB RAM, QUADCORE processor or latest generation, higher to 3.3GHz, 250 GB HD  15k rpm, 1  Giga ethernet dedicated, Windows SRV 2016 enterprise

For NTA

Quad Core o better, 32GB RAM, 1TB, 1Gb NIC, Windows server 2016/2012 R2/ 2012.

This are some of the doubts that I have already in base of what I've read already, so I will apreciate your comments about it and share your experience with this migration proccess.

Regards.

• Hola,

You absolutely can open a ticket to get support through the upgrade process, and if you haven't done it before I would recommend it.  There are a lot of parts to remember in the process and it helps to have someone to help if you find a problem.

Since you have 9k nodes and 14k elements I would be using the Large deployment examples as your guide. 

For the licenses, you can just de-activate them from your old server using the License management page of the web console before you start your migration, then when you go to the customer portal your new licenses will be there for you to input to the new system.

You can choose to upgrade before or after the migration, but in either case make sure that the version you install on the new server is the exact same one as what you are using on the old server at the time of the database migration.

No need to do a discovery after you migrate, the database will carry over all your nodes and such.

NTA does not REQUIRE a separate database server, but it can be very resource intensive so if your system cannot handle both databases at the same time then you will have problems.  Splitting them up ensure that they do not compete for resources.  There are strategies you can employ with the database to help those performance problems such as splitting up the files to separate disks, you will want to discuss your options with your DBA.

• Thanks @mesverrum we're already checking the guide and preparing sessions with the DBA team for the help and definitively we are going to open a Ticket for the support.

Regards.