This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network monitor as service?

Originally, we have Solarwinds installed on a dedicated server. We plan to move Solarwinds to a multi-user server and are looking for a way to start Network Monitor as a system service. Is there a way to do this?

Javier Mendoza
ITG-Opersations
National University
  • Sure! Not a problem.... I'm running it now with srvany.exe

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

I'm sure you could use ServiceMill or any other program like it to do the same thing.
  • Javier,
    Forgive my ignorance on this topic. How is making 'Network Monitor' a service beneficial? Are you simply wanting it to start automatically when you reboot? Just curious.

Thanks,
    RP
  • I use Firedaemon. You can download a free version that will setup and install one service, or for $25 you can use it for unlimited versions.

Works well.

Rpereda

Running it as a service allows it to always collect data. That way if you reboot your server and don't log in and open up Netmon, it is still collecting stats.
  • When I run it like this the service runs in the backgroud just fine but when I open the application it starts a second instance of the application. Does yours do this as well?

quote:Originally posted by aLTeReGo

Sure! Not a problem.... I'm running it now with srvany.exe

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

I'm sure you could use ServiceMill or any other program like it to do the same thing.

Bill Wilke
  • This is something I have been thinking about doing as well for my company setup. Just a few questions for those that have set this up:

When the Network Performance Monitor runs as a service, are there any noticable performance issues?

When the software is started with a user to view data, any problems I should look out for in advance?

Fairly stable as a service?

Will the automatic database maintanence function still run?
  • This doesn't work or there is a unpublished trick.  I followed the Microsoft KB article on how to create a user-defined service and it does not work.  The service is there, it starts with no errors, but if I log out of the server and initiate an outage I do not get alerted.  I only get alerted if the server is logged in.  Has anyone else run into this issue?