1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 24, 2018 12:02 PM by tigger2

How to ensure ALL current and future drives/volumns are monitored?

dongam

Problem: DBAs love to add/change drives and drive configuration on the fly without anything resembling Change Management and then blame us when a drive fills up/fails.

Question: How can we ensure that any new drive/volume additions are included in monitoring?

It would seem that selecting "All Volumes", then deselecting selected items, that future added disks would be included... yes?

Example here setting up a new node Resources to monitor: 

• Re: How to ensure ALL current and future drives/volumns are monitored?
          tigger2

I really, really, really with this was built in functionality.  I believe finding "dead/changed" interfaces has been added to the newest versions of NPM, but not volumes

I've seen this question asked before on the forums, and the only answer I personally have is still mostly a manual process:

1. To find new volumes: To run the network discoveries over every so often and manually add any new volumes found

2. To find volumes that "are no longer there": I have a custom report with this SWQL as the "data source".  I run it daily.  When the report returns results,  I go into "manage nodes" and delete the grey/"no longer present" volume.  Usually when a volume disappears from a node a "new one" was added to the node (as Orion sees it, even if it has the same drive letter) so I then I add any new volumes as well. I go to the node and do a "list resources" (may have to "force refresh" as it caches the old resource list) and add any new volumes.

The SWQL query I use is:

SELECT NodeID, VolumeID, Caption,StatusIcon, Type, Responding, FullName, LastSync, VolumeType, VolumeDescription

FROM Orion.Volumes

where Responding = 'N'

and StatusIcon like 'Down%'

order by NodeID