This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Switch Port Mapper

I just downloaded the eval version and I can't use the port mapper with any of my Cisco Cat 4xxx or 5xxxx switches.
  • Why not? What does it give you?

PacketMan
  • You have to type it in a particular syntax. "IP_ADD@VLAN#"

Exap "192.168.1.1@99"

You have to map on a per vlan basis for it to work.

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!!

You are going to enter the VLAN under the SNMP community string section..

HOST/IP: 192.168.1.1

Community String: Private@99

Sorry about the mixup

Lockheed Martin
    Network Engineer
  • I have 2948G layer 3 switches and Cat 3508's and I have a purchased version of the software. I have tried using the public@ vlan-id and that does not work. Any other suggestions.

quote:Originally posted by Bryan

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!!

You are going to enter the VLAN under the SNMP community string section..

HOST/IP: 192.168.1.1

Community String: Private@99

Sorry about the mixup

Lockheed Martin
    Network Engineer

Tim Del Carlo
    Network Engineer, CCIE1780
    Sunstone Hotels
    949-369-4343
  • First off if you are still using PUBLIC and PRIVATE as your community strings, that is a NO NO! That is the first thing you should do if your running SNMP is change those. A hacker could copy your configs and or wreak havoc on your network that way.

Make sure your not going through any ACL's or firewalls and getting blocked.

The 2948G L3 supports Integrated Routing and Bridging, you can't natively create vlans on it unless you have a trunk connected. I'm not sure if the switch port mapper will see bridge groups the same as VLANs. Do you have any port channels set up to a VLANed switch? In other words if you do a "show vlan" on your 2948 do you get a return or does it tell you there are no vlans configured? You might have to contact SolarWinds about the support of bridge groups..

Lockheed Martin
    Network Engineer
  • Solarwinds staff, could give some advice regarding this issue, since i'm having the same errors, with the bridge groups. i don't see IP nor DNS data of the connected clients to the switch.

Layer 2 Log Messages
    8/12/2011 11:30:27 AM - Unable to download dot1d Bridge-MIB for VLAN x. On Cisco switches using SNMPv3, the context for the VLAN must be added to the group using the 'snmp-server group <groupname> v3 priv context vlan-<vlanid>' config command'

the context parameter WAS added...

• I would start with the basic troubleshooting: did you try using SNMPv2? Did it work? Can you try MIB Browser to get dot1d table using SNMPv3 and SNMPv2 with the context of VLAN "x"? In snmpv2, the context (VLAN ID) is added to the community string using "@". For instance, to get the data for VLAN #2, use community string public@2. In SNMPv3, fill the Context in the credentials with the VLAN ID.

If you are able to get the data from the table using SNMPv2 and not SNMPv3, the issue is most likely in the security settings.

You can also open a support case and let us do the troubleshooting (please reference this thread when opening the case).

• Thanks, i will verify.

but please let me know what are you refering when you said: security settings. whose security settings.? thanks in advance

• I meant the security settings on the device. SNMPv3 provides some kind of access control. You can specify special views for different users.