2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 9:56 AM by lanli.fsm

Netpath Data via SQL - What does it all mean?

jbiggley

I'm working with some Netpath probes that are regularly reporting packet loss on a particular link.  I am trying to help parse through the data but I wanted to confirm my query and what each of the fields means.  I'm also wondering if I am missing any fields of relevance.

My greatest curiosity is why NetPath Probes (these ones run every 1 minute from a Lab environment) are reporting packet loss but the ResponseTimeDetail table is not recording a similar event? (Paging cobrien on this one!)

Here is my query.

SELECT
      DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), npt.ExecutedAt) 
             AS LocalTime
      ,npes.ServiceName
      ,npes.HostName
      ,npes.Protocol
      ,npes.Port
      ,npt.PacketLoss
      ,npt.SentPackets
      ,npt.LostPackets 
      FROM [dbo].[NetPath_Tests] npt
      JOIN [dbo].[NetPath_EndpointServices] npes ON npt.ServiceMonitorID = npes.EndpointServiceID
      WHERE
      npt.PacketLoss > 0
      ORDER BY 
      npes.ServiceName
      ,npt.ExecutedAt DESC

I also broke out the individual hops in the NetPath probe tests using the following query, although I have been unable to find the reference table of ObjectID in this query.

SELECT 
      npes.ServiceName
      ,npes.HostName
      ,npes.Protocol
      ,npes.Port
      ,npp.ObjectID
      ,npp.ObjectType
      ,npp.RttAvg
      ,npp.PacketLossAvg
      ,DATEADD(mi, DATEDIFF(mi, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), npp.TimeStamp) 
             AS LocalTime
      FROM [dbo].[NetPath_Performances] npp
      JOIN [dbo].[NetPath_EndpointServices] npes ON npp.ServiceMonitorID = npes.EndpointServiceID
      WHERE
      PacketLossAvg > 0
      ORDER BY npes.HostName, npp.TimeStamp DESC

Summary:

1.  Are my queries missing any fields?

2. Why does npt.PacketLoss (query 1) not reflect in the ResponseTimeDetails table?

3. BONUS QUESTION: What table does npp.ObjectID (query 2) reference?

• Re: Netpath Data via SQL - What does it all mean?
          cobrien

This is not an area I know about.  Any ideas lanli.fsm?

• Re: Netpath Data via SQL - What does it all mean?
              lanli.fsm

The first query (on NetPath_Tests) looks fine. If you want to see sent/lost packet counts at trace level, you may use NetPath debug page. Appending "?debug" to your netpath graph page, you shall find debug tabs at the bottom of the page, Clicking "Traces" > "Load Traces" you shall see detailed statistics for each trace within the graph.

ObjectID in NetPath_Performance table is for internal use only and no other table refers to that ID except the serialized graph object in NetPath_Tests table, ObjectID is the ID for each unique netapth Node/Edge/Path. Using ObjectID and ObjectType, netpath is able to get hostical metrics for any given Node/Edge/Path.