5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2005 1:06 PM by tharder

switchport mapper/3548 clusters

It seems the switchport scanner will only scan the masters of each of my switch clusters.  Is there any way I can get it to scan the slave switches?  Some of these slaves have IP addresses and community strings, but the switch scanner says they are unresponsive.

Ed Brennan
      Dir. Computer Resources
      Albany Law School
        • Re: switchport mapper/3548 clusters
          Switch clusters.  I used to have about 8 switch clusters in my network.  They were catalyst 3548.  I walked in to the network after it was already built and the first thing I did was un-cluster those switches.  I thing management is much easier with individual managed switches.  Just my thought on the subject.  I didn't have SolarWinds deployed at the time I had the clusters active..

Sorry

Lockheed Martin
          Atlas V Launch Operations
          Network Engineer
            You can always just leave the switches clustered and just add an ip address to the other switches. This way CiscoView will still see the cluster and show all the switches to you but you still have individual ip's that other managment tools can use. I prefer the CLI myself so ip's on everything is the way I go.

Jay
              Agreed, CLI is the only way to go when configuring a network.  But products like solarwinds do make gathering statistics much easier! For the longest time I used MRTG and a program called Big Brother, my only issue then MRTG was that you couldn't pull historical data from it.  I like to be able to go back and zoom in on a certain period of time.

Lockheed Martin
              Atlas V Launch Operations
              Network Engineer
                dclick
                So, short of adding IP's to my cluster members, there is no other option? (aside from CLI, which I also perfer.)
                  tharder
                  I beleve Cisco has also been removing the cluster software from the newer versions of IOS for those devices as well...