1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 2:07 PM by userid962

Data gaps for interfaces with custom bandwidth

userid962

We commonly set custom bandwidth for monitored interfaces.  If actual bandwidth exceeds the custom bandwidth, even by a single decimal point, the traffic isn't reported (extreme example in graph below).  This behavior has existed since I started using SolarWinds over 7 years ago.  Instead of setting the bandwidth to be slightly higher, is it possible to alter how SolarWinds handles the data instead of dropping it to the floor?

• Re: Data gaps for interfaces with custom bandwidth
          userid962

Temporary workaround provided by SolarWinds support (Case#00152518). 

1. Remote access Solarwinds server.

2. Backup the following file: SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config.

3. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces (C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces\SolarWinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config).

4. Click Start > Search > Orion service Manage.

5. Shutdown all Orion services.

6. Go back to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Interfaces.

7. Right-click Solarwinds.Interfaces.Collector.dll.config open in Notepad.

8. Find the line:   <add key="ValidateCounters" value="True" />

9. Change the value to False, restart the Orion services.

This change will be blown away if you run config wizard and/or perform future upgrades.

The only long term option is to set custom bandwidth to be slightly higher than reality.

Ex.  If I have a 50M interface, I'll set the interface to 51M to account for intervals where it's maxed out and utilization measurement is 50.0001M.