This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Auto startup of Network Performance Monitor

Am I the only one who thinks it would be very useful for Network Performance Monitor to be able to run as a service, so it starts logging immediately the machine restarts and you don't have to log on?

Anthony
  • This was the biggest improvement done to the Orion product.
    Unless they are planning on adding this to the Solarwinds products,
    you may need to "upgrade" to Orion if you want this feature.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • I added a shortcut to the Network Perfmon executable to my startup folder along with the syslog server, tftp server and advanced cpu monitor. This seemed to fix my problems. I had tried to used a program called srvany. This creates registry entries for programs so they show up as services. I noticed problems with certain features when I tried it this way. I agree, solarwinds should just make it default or at least an option to run as service.

Bryan

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • Beautiful in its simplicity! Excellent idea. I've also combined that with autologon so it works even if the PC is rebooted for any reason. For anyone that's interested, on WINNT/W2K you need to add/edit the following registry settings:

In:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Assign appropriate values to the following:
    DefaultDomainName DefaultUserName DefaultPassword
    (Data type REG_SZ)
    Set AutoAdminLogon to 1 (Also a string)

Thanks for that Bryan. If anyone from SolarWinds is listening in, we still think the facility should be there to allow running as a service though!

Anthony
    Corus Strip Products, UK
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that. I had also used to auto logon for the same reason. That way if the computer loses power, it will come back up on its own. I also invoked the screensaver.exe in the startup folder with password so no one would try and mess with anything...

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • You can make system schudle on computer restarts , runs specific exe,
    so when it restarts , it will work and collect data

i use this already