This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Engineer's Edition Mapping Feature

I'm planning to purchase the Engineer's Edition and have been using the evaluation software. The only thing that seems to be lacking is device/node mapping feature. I'm curious how other in this forum, thats use the Engineer's Edition, are handling their network mapping of devices. Also,and I know this may be a bit to ask for, but are their any plans for future implementaion for web access/mangement of the Engineer's Edition. Overall this is solid product with tools and pricing that I will have no problem getting approval to purchase.

Thanks for any input
  • I'm not sure what you by "device/node mapping feature".
    Perhaps the switch port mapper feature is what you are looking for?
    This gives you the name of each device plugged into your switch
    ports, as long as your DNS reverse lookups are up to date.
    As far as creating a network map or drawing, this is something
    you have to do on your own, or with a product like Visio Enterprise.

I highly recommend the Orion product if you want web access.
    Plus all the other features included such as the Mapmaker & Report
    Writer, make this a very powerful Network Monitoring tool.

The Engineering Edition is great for day to day operations & short
    term monitoring, but Orion is best for 24x365 monitoring.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it as I am trying to get as much feedback as I can about these tools before I purchase. So don't take these comments/questions the wrong way. But I've got to ask how can you say you don't know what I mean by device/node mapper and then suggest Orion because of it mapmaker tool. That is exactly what I am refering too. I just wanted to know what other who use "EE" use to "graphically" show network components and connectivity. Using visio is an option, but I doubt many here are doing that. I'm curious to what you would classify as short term monitoring. Altough I've just started looking at it, EE looks like it could monitor 24x365 if you wanted to deploy it in that manner.
    If you/anyone can, please advise

Cheers!
  • It's not that there is anything wrong with EE, but Orion is better suited to full time monitoring - key parts work as services, and it pushes everything to the web so you don't have to log into the monitoring PC. Just my .02

Michael Mayer, M.Sc, CCDP
    Senior Network Analyst
    Calpine Canada Resources
  • quote:Originally posted by TobySmurf

It's not that there is anything wrong with EE, but Orion is better suited to full time monitoring - key parts work as services, and it pushes everything to the web so you don't have to log into the monitoring PC. Just my .02

Michael Mayer, M.Sc, CCDP
    Senior Network Analyst
    Calpine Canada Resources

Yeah, that's the best part about it.
    It gets old real quick having to have a perpetual VNC connection to the box which can't logged off, since EE doesn't run as a service.

Paul Piro
    Senior Network Engineer
    Money Management International
    www.moneymanagement.org