3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 2:01 PM by rsprim

    Polling Engine gone wild

    rsprim

      I ran into an interesting issue today.  I have 5 additional polling engines with 2 on one domain (Domain 1) and three on another (Domain 2) connected to the same database.  I migrated a bunch of nodes off of a Domain 1 polling engine to one of the Domain 2 polling engines and didn't think anything about it until my Network team told me the original polling engine and the one I moved it too is polling the devices!!!  I fired up Wireshark and confirmed it.  I checked in the Database and verified that the correct polling engine is assigned in the database.  I also verified that when I unmanage the device, polling stops on the polling engine I moved the device too but the original polling engine continues polling it.  Has anyone run into this before?  What was the fix?  We are using NPM v11.5.3.  Thanks!

        • Re: Polling Engine gone wild
          Mark Roberts

          Hi

           

          This is indeed odd behaviour and one which SW support may want to see, as the configuration is not a common one.

           

          I would replace the local Job Engine cache files, to see if these are holding legacy polling tasks - Replace Job Engine v1 and Job Engine v2 SDF Files - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

           

          Also as you have reviewed the Nodes > EngineID value and confirmed these are correct for the AllEngines (this is v11.5.3) table, I would suggest a review of the subscriptions table to see if anything in their is referencing old engine assignments.

           

          Be interested to see how you get on.

           

          Mark Roberts

          Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

          Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

          facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg 

            • Re: Polling Engine gone wild
              rsprim

              Hey Mark,

               

              Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't tried replacing the SDFs so I tried it and I noticed that the Job Engine folder didn't have a Data directory.  I was hopeful this was the problem so uninstalled and reinstalled the app and now I have the Data folder but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.  It probably fixed another problem though.    I had already tried clearing the PendingNotifications, Subscriptions and Subscription Tags but I didn't stop services before doing it.  It didn't work either so I stopped and disabled all the services on the polling engines and cleared them from the database again.  Unfortunately, the polling engine is still polling the wrong devices.  I have a case (00151195) open with support and I'm waiting to hear from an Application engineer.

               

              Robert

                • Re: Polling Engine gone wild
                  rsprim

                  I talked to SolarWinds and we tried uninstalling the JobEngine, JobEnginev2, Collector and Information Service on the polling engine with the issue and it seems to be working fine.  The Uninstall/Reinstall was done through an elevated command prompt.    Thanks for the help Mark!