8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2018 9:29 AM by styler

Where do I find logs for emails sent for an alert?

styler

I'm trying to troubleshoot a handful of alerts that I think aren't sending emails, but I don't know where to look to confirm. Where does Orion log its mail sending actions?

• Re: Where do I find logs for emails sent for an alert?
          neomatrix1217

Try looking at these logs and scroll to the bottom.

rschroeder

I tend to go straight to NPM's Message Center, then filter for the items I need, and look up the actions associated with them.  Editing the actions helps when you can see what happened, what action was taken or NOT taken.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                styler

This is a very useful utility, but I'm not seeing the information I'm looking for. It's listing the events I can already see on the application details page. I specifically need to see messages about attempts to send email.

Example of what I'm getting in Message Center:

7/12/2018 4:32:22 PM     Event

Component "Product.Metadater Windows Service" for application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is up   

Component "Product.SingleCatfisher Windows Service" for application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is up    

Component "Product.DownloadCleaner Windows Service" for application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is up        

Component "Product.VolumeIndexer Windows Service" for application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is down        

Component "Product.MetadataUpdater Windows Service" for application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is up        

Component "Product.MissingMetadater Windows Service" for application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is up        

Application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is down        

7/12/2018 4:30:51 PM     Event   

Servername - vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter #2 · ACI is managed again        

7/12/2018 4:30:46 PM     Event   

Component "Windows Scheduled Tasks Component Monitor" for application "Windows Scheduled Tasks" on node "Servername" is up        

7/12/2018 4:30:46 PM     Event   

Application "Windows Scheduled Tasks" on node "Servername" is up

7/12/2018 4:30:41 PM     Event   

Application "Product Services" on node "Servername" is managed again. Polling and statistics collection have been resumed.    

7/12/2018 4:30:41 PM     Event   

Application "Windows Scheduled Tasks" on node "Servername" is managed again. Polling and statistics collection have been resumed.

rschroeder

Do you find useful information in Admin > Alerts & Reports > Manage Alerts > Alert Manager or Action Manager?  It's a start, and shows what alerts are enabled or disabled.

I keep a Resource on NPM's front page called Last 25 Events that is helpful, but it's still not what I think you want . . .

I bet we'd be closer in Alerts & Activity > All Active Alerts.  It shows Objects that triggered every alert.  If I click on a node that triggered an alert, I can see what it did.

I can also see the name of the Alert, and I build my alerts to help make intuitive the actions each one is expected to perform.  I can click on that Alert, see how many times it was triggered, it's whole history, its definition . . .

Naw, this still isn't the e-mail listing you want.  At least I think that you want a log of devices that had alerts and NPM was supposed to do something about them, like send an e-mail or a page.

I know it's there; I've seen the data you need.  Maybe not all events in the same area--perhaps on a per-device or per-event basis?

How about here:

styler

I got this query yesterday from Shane on the customer support team and it showed exactly what I was looking for:

SELECT TOP 1000 * FROM [dbo].[AlertHistoryView]

where alertid = <ID of the alert I'm troubleshooting>

order by 3 desc