7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2018 2:58 PM by rogdog

How to add UDT ports

Ismo

I've done this before, but it's quite a time since I've done it last time.

So, I'm noticing that I'm monitoring two switch ports with NPM (uplinks only) and UDT is monitoring those ports too, but not anything else on that switch. With other switches there is same situation, just some of the ports are monitored by NPM, but I still get every ports monitored with UDT.  So it obviously should be possible but I don't know how. If I open a list view of UDT nodes, I can only see those two ports, and status is "monitored" but nothing else. Other switches I see other ports too, not just the ones that are monitored with NPM.

This must be some really simple thing, that I just cannot find in settings... so can you help...?

• Re: How to add UDT ports
          David Smith

Hi Ismo if you go to Settings > All Settings > UDT Settings > Manage Ports

From that screen, you should see a list of ALL the Ports in your environment and it will show if it is Monitored Yes/No - You can simply select the ports you wish to add to UDT and select 'Monitor'. Equally you can also remove ports from this screen by either clicking 'UnMonitor' or 'Delete'.

Hope that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Ismo

No, all I see from there is two ports of those switches that I have added later to system. As told, other switches show their all ports no matter if they are monitored by NPM or not. But for some switches I see only those ports available that are already monitored by NPM.

And secondly, I don't see any way to choose ports, only switches itself. (not even the ones that are already monitored, so that I could unmonitor them)... What is happening in my system?!?

Ismo

I think I managed to solve this. I had to re-add switches to NPM system. Then those ports came available to that manage ports-feature. But still I cannot choose single ports to make them unmanaged if needed. Can this be browser problem? I'm using Chrome.

David Smith

Hi Ismo,

Sorry, I misunderstood, yes if the port has never been discovered by NPM then a discovery would need to have been run on the device. As for the list of all ports already discovered in the UDT Port Management screen you should see the option to switch between Nodes and Ports.

Ismo

It was discovered before already, although there was not every ports monitored by NPM, just 2 of them. So I'm still wondering why only those two were available for UDT monitoring, as all non-monitored ports were in recources list anyway. UDT have nothing to do with fact are ports monitored by NPM or not. It depends just from device itself. It must be monitored.

David Smith

Don't get confused between monitoring the ports as an Interface within NPM (Which is what you would see if you select 'List Resources') and monitoring it as a Port in UDT. There is a difference.

• The difference between monitoring an interface in NPM and UDT is, in NPM we gather a lot more statistics – bandwidth usage, errors, discards etc.
                              • In UDT its port status and port connections, only. You can monitor a huge amount more UDT ports than Orion interfaces, as the polling is far less intense and the license max for NPM and UDT are very different.

Ref: UDT - Frequently Asked Questions - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

rogdog

Hi Ismo,

The simplest way that I am aware of to add Ports in UDT that are missing is to go into 'UDT settings --> manage Ports'. From there you will need to remove the Node from UDT than re-add the Node back into UDT. Once you have done this then UDT will discover and add all your Ports. This is a background task and may take a while (a manual poll of the UDT node can be carried out to speed up the discovery). Once discovered you can then manage (unmonitor/monitor) the ports for the Node.