10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2007 4:12 AM by edit.csato@ge.com

Serious performance issues, why?

Orion NPM server Windows 2K3 Standard SP1, (HP DL385 dual CPU 4Gb RAM)
      Orion DB server Windows 2K3 R2 x64 Standard, SQL Server 2000 v8.00.2039 (SP4), (HP DL385 dual CPU 4Gb RAM)

Orion Version 8.0.1
      System Manager Version 8.0.113
      Orion NPM Engine 8.0.72

523 Nodes (180s poll), 2374 interfaces (360s poll)
      Stats collected every 5 minutes

Netflow Traffic Analyser 1.0.1

6 Nodes, 82 interfaces

System running extremely slow, ASP time out errors on web interface.
      NetPerfMon error when using Orion System Manager application:
      This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy application and correct the problem.
      DB transaction log is currently running at 16Gb and growing. Has been truncated but just grows again, have 25Gb allocated to log file, but obviously I don't want it to use all this, 16Gb is way too big as it is.

It seems the back end of the Orion system cannot handle something we are throwing at it, the hardware is hardly under any strain but the application is running like a dog!

OK, I have sorted the trasnaction log problem out, without supports assistance! It seems that Orion likes to leave behind locked processes in the database, this is at least the second time this has happened on this system, any ideas why?

The system is still running extremely slow and is pretty much unusable in this state. The web interface is constantly returning ASP time out errors and we may as well not have Net Flow stats on there as they are unusable anyway.

Solarwinds can I have a response, or are you going to continue to ignore this thread as it exposes something you already know?
        • Re: Serious performance issues, why?
          denny.lecompte
          ktm,

We are not ignoring your post. You posted it on Thursday afternoon, and we're replying Friday morning.

To answer your question, we are aware that some customers are experiencing performance problems under specific conditions. I don't have enough information to determine whether your problem is similar to those currently under investigation.

Is your database on the same box as the Orion we server? We recommend separate boxes.

Could you elaborate on the database locking problem? That may or may not be relevant to the problems you are seeing. We need more detail.

Have you contacted Support directly yet? You probably need more real-time troubleshooting than the forum can provide.

Denny LeCompte
          Sr. Product Manager, Orion
          SolarWinds
            quote:Originally posted by dclecompte

Is your database on the same box as the Orion we server?  We recommend separate boxes. 

Hi Denny,
            No, they are separate boxes. Both boxes are not showing any signs of high utilisation of any of their resources.

Could you elaborate on the database locking problem?  That may or may not be relevant to the problems you are seeing.  We need more detail.

What do you want to know?
            The database, on more than one occasion has had a process ID in use for an unacceptable length of time, read HOURS.
            The transaction log then grows out of control. The database shows 0 active transactions.

Have you contacted Support directly yet?  You probably need more real-time troubleshooting than the forum can provide.

I would love have to have some real-time troubleshooting, but am still awaiting a response from Support. I must admit the one time I have had to contact Support before this they responded almost immediately. Hence when I got no response from support I thought I would consult this forum.
            If you say support is the way to go, then that's a fair enough comment, just let me know how to kick start the support process as an email doesn't seem to have done the trick in this instance.
              denny.lecompte
              ktm,

I checked your case, and you are in queue to get a call from Support.  I apologize that our response has not been quicker. 

Our offices in Tulsa and Austin were both hit hard by ice storms for much of this week, which has left us with a bit of a backlog.

I can only ask for your patience and assure you that we will get to your case as soon as possible.

Denny LeCompte
              Sr. Product Manager, Orion
              SolarWinds
                I feel I need to add some input to this thread.
                I have the exact same problem and nearly the same setup. Seperate engine and SQL server. Both servers 2xdualcore 2ghz Intel, 4gb RAM. Engine has 3x30gb RAID5 and DB 2x148gb RAID1. Both servers are never above 15% cpu utilization when the problems occur. Solarwinds database is at 41gb.

I get the same kind of ASP timeouts and also get erratic gathering of poller data. All this disappears when I turn off Netflow from my routers.
                I basically have default settings on all data retentions but have SQL transaction log set to simple, thus have no problem with the growing log.

I have also been in contact with Solarwinds support, no solution yet, but I have no complaints about the response time which has been quick.
                  Debbi
                  I have the same issues.  Very good servers/SQL.   DB is about 35 gig after 3 days.  Web interface basically unusable.  I am only exporting from two interfaces (at network core) and cannot imagine that I will be able to add the others now that the db is so huge and the response time is so bad.  Also, both my endpoints and domain always show only low alpha and numeric listings, like it is sorting alphabetically instead of the real topN.  Waiting for support since last Thursday, emailed them three times.  -Debbi
                    Support are working on this problem for me also. They did get in touch with me and had some issues with the weather in their town which prevented their usual promptness.

Our DB was at 120 GB, before I removed Netflow. I think that is quite a small DB aswell and SQL server can handle MUCH MUCH MORE.

It seems that what was locking the DB was the Orion DB maintenance. SQLMAINT.EXE is the way to go, don't risk the Orion app.