This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Problems after installation

I have upgraded the client NPM to version 8.0 and i have installed the Netflow module in the same device to do a trial. I didn´t get any error during the installation. I get the messages of installing the services and starting the services but then when it finished i noticed that the netflow service port was down. I went th the services window and i saw that all the services except for network performance monitor were installed and set to automatic but not started. When i try to start them manually i get a temporization error. What can i do next? I wouldn´t like to corrupt the NPM installation and i need to get this module working. I expect for your answer. Best regards.
  • What do you see when you try to start the services manually?

David Perdue
    SolarWinds Development Team
  • Example with one of the services:
    The Solarwinds Flow Correlation Service could be started due to the following error:
    The service hasn´t responded to the starting request in a correct time.

Is an approximate translation! It´s like if the request was expiring.

Thanks a lot.
  • I am having the same problem as Nuria. When attempting to manually start the "Solarwinds Alerting Engine" it comes up with the following message, "Could not start the Solarwinds Alerting Engine on local computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".

All this means I can't get the advanced alerts running.

The only service which will run is the "solarwinds network performance monitor".

Any advice?

Thanks

• quote:Originally posted by Nuria

Example with one of the services:
    The Solarwinds Flow Correlation Service could be started due to the following error:
    The service hasn´t responded to the starting request in a correct time.

Is an approximate translation! It´s like if the request was expiring.

Thanks a lot.

Are you able to browse to http://www.thawte.com from the server experiencing this problem? If that works, try starting the service again after browsing to that site.

Please reply if this works or not.

David Perdue
  • Is there anything interesting in the windows application log concerning those services startup failures?
    What OS version do you see those failures on?
    Are any of those machine subjected to windows software restriction policied?

Thanks

Joel Dolisy
  • Hi

This post found on this site has fixed the problem for me. All services can now be started.

********I had and have been having that problem with the Syslog service not starting sometimes. Seems that for some reason the syslog service wants to be able to access the internet when it starts - Solarwinds told me it only needs to do this once on installation - but I've found that the agents on the servers also seem to do this on restart.

We found that since we were behind an internet proxy that it failed to connect sometimes because of the funky way windows now works with the WinHTTP setup on XP and Win2k3 where it can have different settings that your IE.

If you're behing an internet proxy try issuing the "proxycfg -u" command on the dos prompt of your boxes that run the syslog service - this forces your current IE settings for your proxy to be transfered to the WinHTTP service. This has fixed the problem anytime I've ever seen it.**********

Thanks for your help
  • Thanks a lot dqcrpc! I could be related to this because we don´t have Internet access in this network. What do you think i can do in this case? Is there a way to disable the access to internet of the service during restart. I will reinstall the Netflow Monitor with the server connected to Internet cause i think i hadn´t internet connection during installation.

Thanks a lot for your help!
  • I am having the same problem getting the NetFlow services to start. I have tried everything mentioned so far with no luck. The System Event Viewer indicates the following:

"The Solarwinds NetFloe receiver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Thanks for any help.
  • I tried adding the entries to the Hosts file. No Luck. Still get the Error 1053 when I try to start the services manually.