This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

In-Place SQL Server Upgrade (2016)

Hello.

(I've inherited responsibility but) I have little experience with Solarwinds.

Solarwinds' "Product Upgrade Advisor" has advised upgrade from SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition to SQL Server 2016 (and subsequently, NCM 7.4.1 to 7.5 to 7.8, and UDT 3.2.3 to 3.3.1). (I'm relying on NCM update to update Orion Platform 2015.1.3 to 2018.2, Primary Poller only)

For the first part, we have MS SQL Server expert to help with in-place upgrade, but I still need some understanding of the impact on Orion.

Looking at thread "In-Place SQL Server Upgrade" (for 2005 EE to 2008 EE) and Upgrade Orion SQL server version without migration, I surmise the following steps:

1) backup MS SQL Server Database

2) Stop all Solarwinds service [using Orion Service Manager].

3) upgrade MS SQL Server

4) Start all Solarwinds service [using Orion Service Manager].

5) if views aren't showing, rerun SolarWinds Config Wizard to re-establish the DB connection

Questions:

1) are above 5 steps sufficient?

2) will currently installed versions of Orion Platform, NCM and UDT continue to work on SQL Server 2016, before I attempt their upgrade?

R's, Alex

• The steps above are sufficient and yes as you upgrade NCM the Orion platform will upgrade. Have you already downloaded the latest version of NCM? if so the Orion installer should be able to upgrade both applications at the same time.

• Hi Neomatrix,

are you able to answer (2) question:

> 2) will currently installed versions of Orion Platform, NCM and UDT continue to work on SQL Server 2016, before I attempt their upgrade?

As per NCM 7.4 system requirements:

The following database servers are supported:

• SQL Server 2014 , and with Always On Availability Groups

• SQL Server 2012, with or without SP1 and SP2, Standard or Enterprise, and with Always On Availability Groups

• SQL 2008 R2 without SP, 2008 R2 SP1, 2008 R2 SP2

• SQL 2008 without SP, 2008 SP1, 2008 SP2, 2008 SP3

excludes SQL Servers 2016.

So, would NCM (v7.4.1) stop working or become unreliable as soon as SQL Server is updated; and, we need to upgrade Orion platform and modules immediately after SQL Server upgrade rather than at future time?

R's, Alex

• According to this KB, your current version of the software could potentially stop working once you upgrade the SQL Server.

Windows Server 2012, 2016 and SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2017 Support - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

You might consider upgrading your Application first such as:

NCM from 7.4.1 > NCM 7.5

UDT from 3.2.3 > UDT 3.2.4

NCM from 7.5 > NCM 7.6

Those levels will then be compatible with your new and old SQL version, so once you upgrade you won't break anything. And then you can perform an upgrade from NCM7.6 and UDT 3.2.4 to the latest versions using the new installer.

*Edit - Don't forget that the Application requirements for the latest versions require Windows Server 2016.

• Hi David,

thank you for the compatibility matrix KB and advice on intermediate updates.

I'm currently running Windows Server 2012 R2.

> *Edit - Don't forget that the Application requirements for the latest versions require Windows Server 2016.

According to the KB, "Although you can install Orion Platform 2018.2 products on Microsoft Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 .. these versions are deprecated and will not be supported on future versions of the Orion Platform"... So, I read this as recommendation, rather than requirement (to upgrade to Windows Server 2016).

Seem to me, if I have to update OS, SQL Server, Orion, NCM and UDT, I might as well be build new a VM.

R's, Alex

• You are spot on

Requirement: MS Server 2012 or later / MS SQL Server 2012 or later

Recommendation: Server 2016 or later / MS SQL Server 2016 SP1 or later

if you can build out a new environment with VM's that would be a cleaner approach as you can build the new environment and perform an upgrade & migration. I would personally suggest upgrading on your existing platform first to avoid installing lots of older versions of the software on your new VM. Then when you migrate you only need to upgrade 1 or 2 versions.