2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 1:29 PM by robert777

Perfstack Widget and Application Data

robert777

Hello All,

I've got several Perfstack projects created for Active Directory and Exchange teams.  These projects use "built-in" data counters such as CPU and Memory usage, plus counters gathered with an application template, like 'LDAP searches per second', or 'Bytes Sent / Bytes Received per second'.  Traditionally I have created the perfstack project, saved the URL before saving the project, and sent the URL to my AD or EX teams.

Working with the new functionality which allows perfstack projects to be pulled into consoles (add as a "resource" to a "view").

However...

When I pull a perstack project into a view and display the view it seems like the "built-in" data counters show up, but the counters collected with an application template do not.

I've tested this enough to verify that this is consistent behavior.

Does anyone have any insight into why my perfstack project data gathered with an application template does not show up in consoles?

Thanks for your help.

• Re: Perfstack Widget and Application Data
          nathan.hejnicki

The only thing I can think to ask off-hand is, are the people to whom you are sending these resources/projects under any kind of account limitation that might prevent them from seeing certain apps/groups, anything? It's a stretch but it'd be the first thing I'd check outside assuming it was a bug in the new feature entirely.

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• Re: Perfstack Widget and Application Data
              robert777

Thank you for your reply.  I am testing the Perfstack project visibility using my own account which is a full Solarwinds admin – no account limitation in play.

Yes, I’m also thinking a bug in the new feature.  But I’m open to the idea that I am doing something wrong.  I’m fairly new to Solarwinds so I don’t know the SAM or Perstack products deeply.

Would be cool if someone can test this in their own lab.  Perhaps something like: put the SW agent on a server >> create an application that pulls some counter other than the standard CPU/Mem like ‘bytes sent/received’ from the nic >> create a Perfstack project that includes standard data such as overall CPU plus data pulled by the application >> pull that Perfstack project as a resource into a View >> see if ONLY the CPU data shows up in the view, not the data collected via the application template. 

Cheers.