This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor up / down of LAPs

So, lots of stuff I'm still trying to understand about NPM and Atlas, etc but if I have (and we do) upwards of 5K LAPs across various WLC's and brands then I know I can discover the WLCs and only use a few licenses as opposed to the >5K.

But what I don't understand is how you guys track up / down of LAPs if they aren't being directly added to a map / group?

• Hi Stuart,

If you are monitoring your WLC then it will automatically discover the status of the Thin Wireless Access Points connected to that controller. You can set an alert that notifies you when they go offline, but I would approach with caution and search here on Thwack for other stories of AP monitoring.

• Thanks David ... it's that bit about 'setting an alert' that I'm either not understanding or trying to over-complicate.

If I drag one of the LAP's on to a group map does that automatically monitor up / down? If so, then I'll go get my coat emoticons_wink.png

• Sorry, but you can't put Thin AP's onto an Orion Map as they don't actually exist as Elements in your Orion system. Basically, you are polling the Wireless Controller for a particular OID which gives back the Status of the "Registered" AP's at that time.

The WLC is the one doing all the work here as the WLC holds the AP status information and SolarWinds just polls the WLC to get the status of it's AP's. It stores the AP's registered to the WLC in the Orion Database, which means you can then query the database for some basic information about the AP (one of which is the status).

You can go into SolarWinds Alerts and there should even be an Out of the Box Alert called "Thin AP Down".

pastedImage_0.png

Hope this helps.

• Thanks again David.

We are still very much at teh start of our journey with Solarwinds and have yet to find all its functionality let alone where stuff sits emoticons_happy.png I shall dig into this some more.

• You are more than welcome emoticons_wink.png