This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Any self employed/solarwinds consultants?

Good afternoon.

I am seeking a little advice.  I am thinking of being a solarwinds consultant.  There are reasons for this.  One of them is strictly I am bored in the position I am nit right now.  I am not pushed enough in my day to day job. I do VM work outside of work, but that only gets me so far with regards to resources.

I will tell you a little about me and hopefully I can have a meaningful discussion about this:

About me:

- I am ex military IT professional.

- I would consider myself a thoughtful, very open and honest.

- I'm very relaxed.  Sometimes a little too relaxed in life.  That has got me in trouble in the past.  But when I have something that's a challenge for me, that's when I am driven and motivated.

- I would like to think I am fair and that I treat everyone as equal as possible.

- I will admit that I am not assertive enough.  Ergo - I am very relaxed in life.

- Also, I sometimes doubt my own abilities to do things. But I will always try to do something at least a dozen times to get it as right as I like it to be.

- I often say the worst things at the worst moments.  Which is why I hardly speak to anyone.

That's kinda me.

Me as a professional.

If we look at me as a professional:

- I like to be quite slow and logical in a project that I undertake.  I perceive this as a good thing because I enjoy looking at every possible angle prior to any action being taken.

- I tend to make safe, baby steps.

- I overlook the massive things for the more insignificant things.  Example - I have an issue with the infrastructure of drives in our estate.

- I'm very relaxed.

- I sometimes can't understand or see when something is and isn't a problem.  That's for most people I would imagine.

- I am naturally lazy with admin.  I have to force myself to do it.

- If I make myself do it, I often write war and peace.

- If I really enjoy something then I could bore you until you got a beard with facts and stats (example - I love remembering IP addresses)

- If I don't want to do something I flat out won't do it.

That's a little about me.  My question is, for those that are already a consultant on solarwinds, what is it like?  What is a typical job for you?

How did you get involved in consultancy, ect.