I am seeking a little advice. I am thinking of being a solarwinds consultant. There are reasons for this. One of them is strictly I am bored in the position I am nit right now. I am not pushed enough in my day to day job. I do VM work outside of work, but that only gets me so far with regards to resources.
I will tell you a little about me and hopefully I can have a meaningful discussion about this:
- I am ex military IT professional.
- I would consider myself a thoughtful, very open and honest.
- I'm very relaxed. Sometimes a little too relaxed in life. That has got me in trouble in the past. But when I have something that's a challenge for me, that's when I am driven and motivated.
- I would like to think I am fair and that I treat everyone as equal as possible.
- I will admit that I am not assertive enough. Ergo - I am very relaxed in life.
- Also, I sometimes doubt my own abilities to do things. But I will always try to do something at least a dozen times to get it as right as I like it to be.
- I often say the worst things at the worst moments. Which is why I hardly speak to anyone.
That's kinda me.
Me as a professional.
If we look at me as a professional:
- I like to be quite slow and logical in a project that I undertake. I perceive this as a good thing because I enjoy looking at every possible angle prior to any action being taken.
- I tend to make safe, baby steps.
- I overlook the massive things for the more insignificant things. Example - I have an issue with the infrastructure of drives in our estate.
- I'm very relaxed.
- I sometimes can't understand or see when something is and isn't a problem. That's for most people I would imagine.
- I am naturally lazy with admin. I have to force myself to do it.
- If I make myself do it, I often write war and peace.
- If I really enjoy something then I could bore you until you got a beard with facts and stats (example - I love remembering IP addresses)
- If I don't want to do something I flat out won't do it.
That's a little about me. My question is, for those that are already a consultant on solarwinds, what is it like? What is a typical job for you?
How did you get involved in consultancy, ect.