This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DMZ Servers Added to Multiple Group Memberships

Hello,

I've been desperately trying to figure out what's going on.  Twice now in the last month, our DMZ servers, which belong to computer groups in WSUS that's separated for manual patching, have been apparently been added to several other patch groups (ones that we deadline patches for automatic patching).  Both times, a coworker was interacting with SolarWinds Patch Manager to push out a third party patch to the environment.  I can't figure out anything he did that would cause the change in membership to the computer groups but it's happening and those servers are installing patches and rebooting autotmatically(which we don't want).  All the WSUS servers are using the Update Services console and not Group Policy or registry to assign to groups.  GPO has client side targeting disabled in our regular network and DMZ.  But only the DMZ servers are being added to all these other groups.  Has anyone ever seen this before?  It's becoming an issue because we have to check server membership before we approve/deadline monthly patches. 

• There are several different groupings that you can set in Patch Manager:

• WSUS Groups
    • Patch Manger Groups
    • OUs

One common way I've seen this happen is with Patch Manager Groups, for example.  These groups are not dynamic so if you create a group, drop in the server and then set up a task (scheduled or otherwise) and later change that group, the task will remember the old membership.

If you are using tasks to do this you may want to review them because my bet would be that despite the group membership update the task scope has not updated (maybe it's just a static list, maybe it's what I described above).

The fix is usually going to be to re-create the task or you may be able to edit the task scope and correct it that way.

• Thank you very much! I will check that out.