5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2018 9:42 AM by sturk22

Wiping an APE and re-installing

sturk22

All,

After consulting with support on some of the issues we are having in our pre-production environment, we have come to the conclusion that we are going to re-install the Orion and DB servers after we re-image our AWS servers. We want to re-install the APE's associated with these servers as well, so I want to wipe the APE of any solarwinds files, and completely re-install to make sure our versions are in sync, and we are starting clean.

Is there a recommended process to wipe the APE's short of a re-image? is it as simple as removing the SolarWinds folders or un-installing the modules and then removing?

Would appreciate any thoughts on the procedure, and watch-outs.

As background, we have the Orion and DB and EOC servers in AWS, and three APE's on-prem for polling/discovery.

Appreciate any suggestions,

SteveT

• Re: Wiping an APE and re-installing
          HerrDoktor

Watch Out:

keep a close eye on the dbo.engines Table in the Solarwinds Database. When you Reinstall it might be that the EngineID of your APE will be "duplicated" and some of your Nodes might then "hang in the wild" with a wrong EngineID associated to them in the dbo.Nodes View.

Other than that: reinstall Operating System and do a fresh start. it's worth it.

David Smith

You could go down the route of uninstalling all the applications, but as much as SolarWinds have improved the install & upgrade process the uninstall process still leaves a lot of holes., but I would agree with HerrDoktor a fresh install is probably best, although make sure you copy any local NCM Config Archive's if you're storing them locally on the poller.

As for the EngineID, as long as you don't rename the server's and you deploy the APE's in the correct order it should be fine.

sturk22

Thank you guys, I'm talking with the server team about re-imaging the server, and re-installing fresh to match what were doing on the AWS side...I suspect that just un-installing modules will not get me where I want to go. I was advised by support to de-activate the license's prior, and put them back in the pool, and then after I do the re-install's I can just re-apply/activate the license

I'll update the thread once we decide on a way forward.

HerrDoktor

Deactivating the license is a good idea! Add that to the list

You could get it reset in the customerportal when you explain that the machine was deleted before you were able to deactivate, it usually works without many questions asked.

But when you are prepared with a license to activate it saves you some time.

sturk22

I found an excellent resource that basically overviews the steps needed to take to do this. I plan on following these steps. I have already de-activated all the licenses for the entire environment, and so I can wipe all areas of the server, and rebuild from scratch.

Perform a fresh Orion installation on the same Windows Server - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

I'll update with success or any issues I encounter

SteveT