This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Application Templates Assigned to Group no longer updates with node assigned to group

About a month ago, Applications no longer get assigned or unassigned when nodes are added or removed from a group.

I am using dynamic group with a dynamic query to assign node (works consistently) and a dynamic query to assign Application (suddenly quit working)

This is happening for 20 different groups.

No Orion updates have been recently applied.

I have tried rebooting the Orion server, restarting Orion services, and performed a manual DB Maintenance.

Applications can be manually assigned and unassigned to nodes without issue.

Verified SAM User Role

Has anyone else seen this issue?

(Case # 00110808)

• ive run into th issue many times since the feature came out.  Typically restarting services gets it going again and i set myself a report for any servers that seem to be missing their templates

• This is the SWQL for the report I run to track when the templates aren't auto-assigning

SELECT distinct cm.Container.Name as [Group], at.Name as [Template], cm.Name as [Nodes missing template], cm.MemberAncestorDetailsUrls as [_linkfor_Nodes missing template], n.Vendor, n.StatusDescription

FROM Orion.APM.TemplateGroupAssignment ag

join orion.ContainerMemberSnapshots cm on cm.ContainerID=ag.GroupID and cm.EntityDisplayName= 'Node'

join orion.apm.ApplicationTemplate at on at.ApplicationTemplateID=ag.TemplateID

left join orion.apm.Application a on a.NodeID = cm.EntityID and a.ApplicationTemplateID=ag.TemplateID

join orion.nodes n on n.nodeid=cm.EntityID

where a.name is null and vendor in ('windows','linux','net-snmp')

order by cm.Container.Name

• Thank you for the query, I can now be sure of what is missing.

I have had DBA perform maintenance, Manually ran DB maint, Run the config wizard, rebooted Orion and all pollers.

I have been playing e-mail tag ever since SolarWinds Support had me perform the following, with no success.

1. Stop Orion services using Orion Service Manager.
    2. Open Database Manager (Program Files > Solarwinds Orion > Advanced Features)
    3. Click Add Default Server
    4. Expand the Database > Right click on the Orion Database (the one in bold) > Select New Query
    5. Copy and paste the given sql query below then click on execute query (in order and one at a time)

delete from dbo.PendingNotifications
    delete from dbo.SubscriptionTags
    delete from dbo.Subscriptions
    delete from dbo.ContainerMemberSnapshots
    delete from dbo.LimitationSnapshots
    UPDATE dbo.Settings SET CurrentValue = 50000 WHERE SettingID LIKE 'dbm-defragmentation-timeout%'

*Execute this query as a whole:

DELETE tga FROM APM_TemplateGroupAssignment as tga
    LEFT JOIN APM_ApplicationTemplate as at on tga.TemplateID = at.ID
    WHERE at.ID IS NULL

6. Start Orion Services.
    7. Launch Database Maintenance and Start it (default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Database-Maint.exe). Wait for it to complete (this may take some time).

• We had the same issue (with both Dynamic & Fixed Groups), I raised Case # - 00127861

Demonstrated the issue over a web-ex, the response was....

"If I understand you correctly, you were assigning an application monitor to groups however it's not created. I apologize for this behavior and I would like to confirm that this is a known bug of 6.5 and later versions. Our development team are fully aware on this issue and fix will be available on future release.

The only way we can do as workaround is to assign application monitors on nodes."

I was told it could be fixed in SAM 6.7, very disappointing to hear because our dynamic groups and automated deployment scripts work perfectly, assigning templates to those groups was one of the key features we wanted to use.

• If you guys are already that deep into it with scripting and automation, you can just set up scripts to check group memberships and assign the templates where they didn't get auto deployed as a fail safe/backup.  Also, not sure if they told you during the call, but restarting services often gets them auto assigning again in the environments I've ran into the issue at. 

It would be nice to not have to build a workaround but at the end of the day it's not terribly difficult so if things are important to you then you can roll your own.

• We have restarted services and rebooted all server in out environment without success.

The fact that the issue did not appear until a few months after the last update has me puzzled.

We are currently using Groups to assign application monitors for 30,822 components on 3825 Nodes.

This seriously impacts our production environment. Moving these Application monitors to individual node assignments is going to take many man hours.

We are also about to add an additional 1000+ nodes with 2 components each and having the group functionality restored is essential.

• That's why I suggested scripting it, should take about 10 lines to re-automate it with the api until solarwinds figures out their bug.  If you are spending more than 1 man hour on this you are throwing money away.

• Take that script I posted earlier, push the results into a for each loop and have the api assign any missing applications.  Run it once a day as a scheduled task, by the time the bug gets fixed you will have forgotten about the issue completely because you were free to move into new issues.

OrionSDK/SAM.Application.ps1 at master · solarwinds/OrionSDK · GitHub

• Support had me perform the following...

1. Stop Orion services

2. Make sure you have database backup

3. Execute on the Orion dababase: DELETE FROM APM_TemplateGroupAssignmentsBlacklist

4. Start Orion services

5. Wait up to 15 minutes - test now the Group Assignment

6. In case Group Assignment is still not there - try assigning it again and wait up to 20 minutes.

This did not work immediately, but when I came in today, after the Nightly DB maintenance completed, the issue was 100% resolved.

Thank you #mesverrum for the query which provided the visual confirmation

• Awesome query!

In our setup, we had some specific nodes that we wanted to exclude so they were in the unassigned nodes section.

pastedImage_0.png

Your query also picked up my node here as missing, so I modified the SWQL and here its (renamed some fields and also removed a column). The part that I added is in bold below:

SELECT distinct cm.Container.Name as [Group Name], at.Name as [Template Name], cm.Name as [Node], n.StatusDescription as [Status]

FROM Orion.APM.TemplateGroupAssignment ag

join orion.ContainerMemberSnapshots cm on cm.ContainerID=ag.GroupID and cm.EntityDisplayName= 'Node'

join orion.apm.ApplicationTemplate at on at.ApplicationTemplateID=ag.TemplateID

left join orion.apm.Application a on a.NodeID = cm.EntityID and a.ApplicationTemplateID=ag.TemplateID

join orion.nodes n on n.nodeid=cm.EntityID

where a.name is null and n.NodeID not in (SELECT NodeID

FROM Orion.APM.TemplateGroupAssignmentsBlacklist)

order by cm.Container.Name