This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can you assign each tech group to see its own settings?

We are wondering if you can setup each tech group to have its own seperate set of settings? For example we have a controls team and then we have our IT team. We want the controls team to have their own options for tickets and drop downs since they are a different part of our company. Can someone direct me as to how I would do this? I know how to create the two seperate tech groups but how would I limit each group from seeing each other settings and is this possible?

Thanks

Chad

• Hi chadschu763​,

This is not possible, each individual that requires this type of access will need to have sufficient privileges.

Note that giving sufficient privileges will give them access to more than their Tech Group, therefore is not recommended for the general user.

-Midnight

• Is there a way to setup a separate group in the system then with separate rights? Or when you are setup with a license you all get the same rights? Also if we are ok with everyone having the same rights is there a way to just have a different group with different sub tasks assigned to them?

Thanks

Chad

• Follow up question. We can set them as tech group to have there own specific form with tasks when they first login separate from the IT tech group form and tasks correct?

Thanks

Chad

• Hi chadschu763​,

If you want technicians to be able to view the groups then you can use the Tech Permission 'View Techs & Groups'.

If you are wanting them to be able to manage and configure it, they will need Admin privileges rather than limited tech permissions... The way licensing works doesn't matter if they're a technician or administrator, if they are more than a client and require the tech-interface then they require a license.

Different groups, request types, categories and sub-tasks can be configured per person and you can easily separate their rights but the permissions you give them, but know that an admin account can change anything just like yourself; that includes making every other admin a tech or altering how something works. Be careful giving someone that shouldn't have access such privileges.

-Midnight

• And yes, you can separate tasks, request types and all sorts using the Tech Groups, but to allow someone to alter the Tech Group itself would require admin privileges.

• Have you considered two installations of webhelpdesk?  Youd just need solarwinds to divide your licenses up.  No big deal.