This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

HA ideas.

The HA forum does not have an idea page

Install and upgrade are WAY faster and either than using FoE.

We've recently moved from FoE to HA and hit a few bumps, here are some ideas to improve things for people getting into HA

1. Permissions Fixer:

The HA service does not seem to check that permissions are set correctly to replicate files.

You have to run the permissions checker, and then manually reset permissions on a bunch of directories on both servers.

if I'm running the installer as an Administrator, how come it can't set the permissions correctly on install?

2. Sync Check:

if you have not done (1) then the servers will not actually be Synchronizing. It's obvious if you look in the HA logs

e.g.

these servers are Syncing:

SlaveLastSyncTimestamp:21-05-2018 11:53:01.425

PoolNodeLastSyncTimeStamp:22-05-2018 03:36:34.168

These servers are not:

SlaveLastSyncTimestamp:null

PoolNodeLastSyncTimeStamp:21-05-2018 02:40:37.015

This ought to be surfaced in the HA Deployment Summary page as something that needs to go get checked.

3. Server Settings

It's possible in the Advanced server settings to have the two servers in a Pool have different, and maybe incompatible settings (PubSub in my case).

This ought to be surfaced in the HA Deployment Summary page as something that needs to go get checked.

4. Update DNS using BIND requires TSIG keys

Absolutely requires them... We use access control lists and RFC1918 addresses within our datacenter -- I'm waiting on the Unix admins on our DNS servers to generate/add TSIG support to the zone.

a) this is not documented

b) should not be a requirement if the person doing the configuration knows what they are doing.

I could install the nsupdate binary, write a couple of batch files and hook in using the 'other' DNS type... but that's work for me and a more custom configuration.