This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

I have a Web Performance Monitor recording that fails when I record it with an AD user account

Hi.

I am new to this - and pulling out the last remnants of my hair (Bad Thing).  I have access to:

1. An Orion server running WinServer 2012;

2. A Playback workstation running Enterprise Windows 7 Pro OS.

3. Another playback machine in the shadows waiting to be enabled as a transaction location - in a different user location;

4. I am recording WPM transactions on my workstation (also a Win7 Pro device);

5. I am using export > import to get my recordings onto the Orion server to configure transaction monitors and select locations.

6. All four devices are members of the same AD domain.  We are using a child domain - like "childdomain.corp.ds" - the servers and user accounts are all in the "childdomain" child domain.

My challenge:

I have successfully recorded and created transaction monitors for a small number of different applications/services - all are either using no access account (e.g. monitoring our public website) or are using an application-managed account.  I am now moving to a series of monitors that require AD authentication.  I am able to log in to the application using AD credentials using WPM Recorder on my desktop.  I can successfully play back the recording within WPM Recorder on my desktop.  However, when I import the recording into Orion and set up a Transaction Monitor, it fails on step one (authenticate to the application using AD).

I have:

1. Edited the recording to play back as "childdomain\username - playback fails;

2. Edited the recording to play back as "username@childdomain.corp.ds - playback fails;

3. Changed the log on account for the WPM service on the Playback workstation from using "Local Service" to using a domain account - all my playbacks on that playback machine fail to run;

4. Edited the recording to play back as "username@childdomain - it fails on the first (authentication) step.

I am missing something somewhere - any suggestions?

Thanks

Greg

• Hi, Greg

This could be caused simply because the playback is running under local account instead of domain account, which you are using for recording. I would not recommend to include just child domain, but full domain name. Because actual playback is done via local account this information can be mandatory to successful login to your application. You can try to create local account on your desktop and run WPM Recorder under this account (right click -> run as different user)  and then try to play problematic recording. Some further troubleshooting steps can be done If you have RDP access to some playback machine:

1. Using mmc create some local test account and grant him same permission as SEUM-User-1 local account.
    2. Download WPM Recorder from Orion website and install it on playback machine. 
    3. Run WPM Recorder (right click -> run as different user) as this test account created in step 1
    4. Play Recording

Now question is whether it will fail the same way. If this happens I am strongly recommending you to use a domain accounts for playback as this can easily solve all issues you are facing now and some you may encounter in future
    Configure Domain Accounts for SEUM worker processes Single Sign-On - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Let me know how it went.
    Petr