This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Edit Node Properties Section Question

If I change the "Name" of the node to an existing network, will there be any negative impacts like changing the IP?  I want to think nothing will happen other than just a name change but I will do this to an existing network that is currently working and in good operation; I don't want something like a name change to all of a sudden bring something down. 

Thank you in advance.

• I was informed this by support:

We don't have anything that specifically says all the objects it will affect.  However, we do know it will affect:

1.  alerts (conditions)

2.  reports (conditions)

3.  account limitations (if defined node name in there)

4.  resources (if you have added limits)

5.  Anything where you might have defined SQL or SWQL.  That name is in the  nodesdata.caption column.  That specific column is also copied to the Nodes view.

6.  That name is in the caption column so anything where you are using node caption or node name will be affected.

We use IP address for all polling and do not use that name in anything that we do out of the box.