7 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2018 3:26 PM by ebradford

How to map custom property on more than 100 nodes at a time?

er.vansh17091

Hi All,

I wanted to know how to map/add the custom property on more than 100 nodes at a time?

• Re: How to map custom property on more than 100 nodes at a time?
          m-milligan

Select those nodes in "Manage Nodes," then click "Edit Properties." This will bring up the properties page for all of the nodes. For each custom property you want to edit, un-check the box to the left of the custom property name. Enter/select the value of the custom property. Submit the changes. Solarwinds will update the custom property(properties) that you un-checked for all of the nodes that you selected.

bobmarley

I usually export mine out to Excel and then import them back in after I make the changes. Makes some things way easier.

ebradford

Bob, Could you please post your steps for doing that? Thanks, Eric

ebradford

Okay. I'm going to answer my own question. I did a little exploring, and made the following notes. I suggest that you work off a current exported list of Custom properties so that you don't overwrite recent work with old field values. To that end, I am also including how to Export Custom Properties so you can work off the more recent data. A word of caution, the import will overwrite data, so delete columns and rows which are unchanged, so you are only uploading information which has some amount of change. NOT -- delete field values which are unchanged -- importing a blank value will delete the value from the database. Please be careful; you assume all risks of using this information.

How to Export Customer Properties In Solarwinds Orion

• Browse to Manage Nodes
                    • Select any node by putting a checkmark in a node’s box, then select Export Custom Property Values from More Actions. Don’t worry about getting the right node here, there is a better node selection tool that follows.
                    • The Export Custom Properties screen comes up. Click Select Nodes button.
                    • The Select Nodes Applet comes up. This is the better place to select nodes. You can deselect the node you selected if you want, and select nodes from more than one Group By group at a time. You can add and remove the nodes from the selected list. In my database, I might select nodes by using our Custom Fields for AirPortCode, PriorityCode, or Administrator, etc.
                    • When finished selecting nodes, click the Select Nodes button.
                    • Orion returns to the Export Customer Properties page. All Custom Properties will be selected by default; de-select the properties you don’t want to export, or add additional Orion columns (like manufacturer, Node Status, etc).
                    • Scroll down and Choose a file type. Then click Export.
                    • Save or open the file.
                    • You may export more lists from this screen before clicking Cancel to exit the Export utility.

Now that you have a spreadsheet with the Custom Property(ies) you want to change 100 nodes at a time, use Excel or other spreadsheet program to paste the changes into the 100 nodes. You can do this on multiple columns of Custom Properties. Save your spreadsheet when you are finished. Again, I recommend removing unedited columns and rows before importing the spreadsheet. When you are finished, go on to the import section, below.

How To Import Custom Properties In Solarwinds Orion

• If you have made changes to Custom Property fields for nodes in Orion on an Excel spreadsheet, you may import them into Solarwinds Orion. You may import custom properties for Nodes, Interfaces, Applications, Groups, Alerts, Reports, and Volumes. For example, if you have set Custom Properties for different alerting thresholds for volumes of different servers, you may import those settings here.
                    • Browse to Manage Nodes, as in the preceding procedure. Click More Actions, then click Import Custom Property Values.
                    • The Import Custom Properties screen comes up. Notice the limitations for importing in the yellow box: Import will overwrite existing custom properties; Only a .csv, .txt, .xls or .xlsx file can be imported; If your .xls or .xlsx file has multiple worksheets, only the first worksheet will be imported. Select the type of objects under Import values for, for which you want to import Custom Properties. For example, you could select Interfaces, or Nodes, etc.  Click Browse to find the file which has the properties you want to import. Click Next.
                    • Review the Columns heading names from the spreadsheet to ensure they are mapped correctly to the columns in the Orion Database. If you used the spreadsheet you exported the previously, the columns match exactly. If you create your own spreadsheet, the columns may not match exactly. Here is where you may map a column in your spreadsheet named “IP” to the database column “IP_Address”.
                    • Note that the Caption and the IP_Address columns match exactly. That is because we are not importing nodes; we are importing custom field values of devices that already exist in Orion. Also note that only Custom Property values may be imported, we can’t import values into regular (non-custom) fields.
                    • You may also ignore spreadsheet values which have validation errors, and import the rest by checking the box at the bottom of the screen. If unchecked, the import will fail if there is a validation error, without importing the rest of the fields. There is button the check Validation which will check the import to ensure the import will work. I suggest you use this.
                    • When done matching columns or setting columns to ignore. Click Import.
                    • You may import more spreadsheets, or click Cancel when finished.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

d09h

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Export_Import_custom_property_values

@m-milligan gave a simple way too.  Try the spreadsheet approach as well and you may find benefit in both approaches depending on the situation.