This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Additional Polling Engine consideration for SAM,NPM,NTA Together

Dear Solarwinds Experts,

I am confused with the documentation,, need you help to correct my understanding

W.r.t APE consideration for solarwinds,, In a scenario when
I have to monitor 12k network elements(NPM) & 10k server components(SAM) alongwith 50k Flows per second(NTA),

Do I need 1 APE or i need 3 APE:

Documentation states that

• Single APE can monitor upto 12K elements for NPM
  • Single APE can monitor upto 10k components for
    SAM
  • Single APE can accommodate 50k FPS
  • emoticons_happy.png I am assuming you already have a primary poller and in addition to the same you want to build a APE to handle additional infra monitoring.

What the documentation states is the best practices, what they are trying to convey here is a single solarwinds server (APE in your case can handle 12K elements for NPM + upto 10K component monitors for SAM + 50K FPS for NTA , if you cross the stated limits then you would face performance issues on your SolarWinds box - Please note: if you are going with max cap as mentioned above your server sizing should be as per the documentation)

You can use a single APE for the above requirement and it would still work - 12K NPM + 10K SAM + 50 FPS NTA, but I wouldn't recommend a regression testing on SolarWinds though emoticons_happy.png , if you are good with licensing cost then i would suggest you to go with 2 APE's for the above requirement to divide the load on SolarWinds accordingly.

APE is majorly used for 2 reasons:

1. Load balancing - as in to reduce the load on SolarWinds Servers for monitoring (for example: if you have 12K elements split it 5K on Primary Poller and 7K on APE)

2. Secondly, it could be used as for region based monitoring or for secure zone like DMZ (you could place an APE on different regions to monitor devices under those regions or as mentioned in a secure zone like DMZ)

Hope it helps emoticons_happy.png

• I've always thought it was 10-12k elements per APE.  That's how I run them.

• ecklerwr1​ - perfect emoticons_happy.png  totally agree with you on that, we keep it between 8-10K emoticons_happy.png as we consume few traps and syslog messages as well. 

• Dear vinay.by​, Thanks a lot for your response, I was looking for below information.

"APE in your case can handle 12K elements for NPM + upto 10K component monitors for SAM + 50K FPS for NTA "

Thanks again for your suggestions too