3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 10:27 AM by mmorrison

Including specific $Message variables in e-mail alerts from PowerShell monitors that contain multiple mess/stat pairs

mmorrison

Good Afternoon,

We are on SAM 6.4 / NPM 12.2. I have several PowerShell monitors that have multiple pairs of Messages/Statistics. I am aware of two ways to write out the message in the email alert:

${ComponentMessage}

${N=SwisEntity;M=ComponentAlert.MultiValueMessages}

The first writes out a single message. If your monitor has multiple messages, from what I can tell is it'll use either the first message or the one that caused the monitor to trigger. I am really not sure on what decides which single message is used when using the ${ComponentMessage} variable. The second variable writes out every single message variable that the monitor contains in a single line.

For example here is the end of my powershell monitor's script:

# Writing the results out for SolarWinds

Write-Host "Message.GoodTasks: Tasks in a Good state: $mess1";

Write-Host "Statistic.GoodTasks: $stat1";

Write-Host "Message.BadTasks: Tasks in a Bad state: $mess2";

Write-Host "Statistic.BadTasks: $stat2";

Write-Host "Message.RunningTasks: Tasks in a Running state: $mess3";

Write-Host "Statistic.RunningTasks: $stat3";

Write-Host "Message.DisabledTasks: Tasks in a Disabled state: $mess4";

Write-Host "Statistic.DisabledTasks: $stat4";

And here is how ${N=SwisEntity;M=ComponentAlert.MultiValueMessages} would write out in my e-mail:

BadTasks:Tasks in a Bad state:, DisabledTasks:Tasks in a Disabled state:, GoodTasks:Tasks in a Good state: Task1, Task2, RunningTasks:Tasks in a Running state:

This is not ideal. I would much rather have more control over how and what are displayed in the e-mail. Now, I did experiment with using a single message variable that included the info I wanted + the HTML formatting to make it attractive. I am not a fan of that work around though. It would be really cool if something like ${ComponentMessage.<messagevariablename>} would work, but it does not. Are there any other solutions for this outside of dumping all $mess variables into a single one and utilizing HTML to get the format I want?